Apr 26, 2014, 10:46 PM EST
If the NBA’s investigation into Donald Sterling’s alleged comments corroborates the TMZ report, then what?
That’s the giant elephant in the room.
As much as everyone wants Sterling to get his just due – whatever they feel that may be – there are rules in place. That’s part of the reason Adam Silver wouldn’t address specific consequences.
Forcibly removing Sterling from the NBA is unlikely to happen. The NBA’s constitution, which is confidential, reportedly contains language permitting owners to authorize the league to sell a team without an owner’s consent. The language, SI.com is told, only covers very limited circumstances and these circumstances concern team finances — namely, when an owner can’t pay his bills.
There is reportedly no language authorizing the NBA to sell a team because of an owner’s hurtful remarks or embarrassing behavior. Even if constitutional language could be construed to authorize a forced sale of the Clippers, NBA owners would likely be reluctant to do so given the precedent it would set.
In theory, Silver and the NBA’s other owners can take any actions they see fit. Maybe those actions even violate the league’s constitution. Sterling always has the recourse of pursuing legal avenues himself if he feels they do.
Or maybe he goes quietly into the night, cashing out on a franchise that would surely draw many bidders. He and the NBA can always agree to bypass the league’s constitution.
The rules are in place, and they can influence what happens next. But so much remains uncertain.
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 11
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 13
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 21
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 7
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 35
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 18