Report: Steve Mills a ‘strong candidate’ to become National Basketball Players Association executive director
Apr 25, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
With Phil Jackson reportedly looking to clean out the Knicks’ front office and Kevin Johnson looking to hire a director of the National Basketball Players Association, maybe Steve Mills is getting pushed from both sides into a new job.
Mills was Knicks president before being demoted to general manager upon Jackson’s hiring. In nearly six months in charge, Mills didn’t significantly impact the Knicks. With Jackson on board, it’s unlikely Mills will.
But maybe Mills can make a soft landing on a new job.
Steve Mills is once again surfacing as a strong candidate to replace Billy Hunter as executive director of the NBA players’ union, the Daily News has learned.
The Princeton-educated Mills, who played for legendary coach Pete Carril, could have an inside track on the union job. He is well-respected among players as well as league and team executives.
“It would be great for the union’s future if Steve is the guy,” said one player representative, who did not want to be identified.
The players union needs an executive director. The NBA is readying itself for another lockout 2017, and Adam Silver is already building his case in public.
Mills could be the right man to organize the retaliation, and sooner or later, the union has to pick someone. Mills appears to have the experience and intelligence necessary to do the job well.
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 9
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7