Apr 25, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
With the Pistons already eligible to trade again, NBA draft around the corner and free agency following soon after, Detroit needs a general manager.
Here’s one more name to watch as the search, run by Pistons owner Tom Gores (right), unfolds. A. Sherrod Blakely of CSN Boston:
Mike Zarren, the Celtics’ well-respected, numbers-crunching, assistant general manager, is again under consideration for another job.
He is among the early names to surface for the soon-to-be vacant GM job with the Detroit Pistons.
Editor’s Note: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $55,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Blakely, who now covers the Celtics, previously covered the Pistons. So, he’s well-positioned to gather info from both sides.
If the Pistons ultimately choose Zarren, an analytics whiz best known for developing the “wheel,” they might have trouble landing him.
Zarren is a Celtics fan. He grew up in Massachusetts and had Celtics season tickets long before getting hired by the team. He even still wears an old-school green Celtics satin jacket around the arena. And he turned down becoming the 76ers general manager last year.
What can Detroit offer that Philadelphia couldn’t? If the Pistons are going to proceed with Zarren, that’s the question they must address first. Like the 76ers, the Pistons can’t be the Celtics. If there’s another way they can differentiate themselves, Zarren would make a strong candidate.
He’s bright, has worked himself up the ranks and has years of front-office experience. He’s certainly qualified to warrant serious consideration for the opening.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 1
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 13
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 22
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29