Apr 25, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
With the Pistons already eligible to trade again, NBA draft around the corner and free agency following soon after, Detroit needs a general manager.
Here’s one more name to watch as the search, run by Pistons owner Tom Gores (right), unfolds. A. Sherrod Blakely of CSN Boston:
Mike Zarren, the Celtics’ well-respected, numbers-crunching, assistant general manager, is again under consideration for another job.
He is among the early names to surface for the soon-to-be vacant GM job with the Detroit Pistons.
Editor’s Note: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $55,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Blakely, who now covers the Celtics, previously covered the Pistons. So, he’s well-positioned to gather info from both sides.
If the Pistons ultimately choose Zarren, an analytics whiz best known for developing the “wheel,” they might have trouble landing him.
Zarren is a Celtics fan. He grew up in Massachusetts and had Celtics season tickets long before getting hired by the team. He even still wears an old-school green Celtics satin jacket around the arena. And he turned down becoming the 76ers general manager last year.
What can Detroit offer that Philadelphia couldn’t? If the Pistons are going to proceed with Zarren, that’s the question they must address first. Like the 76ers, the Pistons can’t be the Celtics. If there’s another way they can differentiate themselves, Zarren would make a strong candidate.
He’s bright, has worked himself up the ranks and has years of front-office experience. He’s certainly qualified to warrant serious consideration for the opening.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32