Apr 25, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
With the Pistons already eligible to trade again, NBA draft around the corner and free agency following soon after, Detroit needs a general manager.
Here’s one more name to watch as the search, run by Pistons owner Tom Gores (right), unfolds. A. Sherrod Blakely of CSN Boston:
Mike Zarren, the Celtics’ well-respected, numbers-crunching, assistant general manager, is again under consideration for another job.
He is among the early names to surface for the soon-to-be vacant GM job with the Detroit Pistons.
Editor’s Note: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $55,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Blakely, who now covers the Celtics, previously covered the Pistons. So, he’s well-positioned to gather info from both sides.
If the Pistons ultimately choose Zarren, an analytics whiz best known for developing the “wheel,” they might have trouble landing him.
Zarren is a Celtics fan. He grew up in Massachusetts and had Celtics season tickets long before getting hired by the team. He even still wears an old-school green Celtics satin jacket around the arena. And he turned down becoming the 76ers general manager last year.
What can Detroit offer that Philadelphia couldn’t? If the Pistons are going to proceed with Zarren, that’s the question they must address first. Like the 76ers, the Pistons can’t be the Celtics. If there’s another way they can differentiate themselves, Zarren would make a strong candidate.
He’s bright, has worked himself up the ranks and has years of front-office experience. He’s certainly qualified to warrant serious consideration for the opening.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 1
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 35
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38