Apr 25, 2014, 12:33 PM EST
With the Pistons already eligible to trade again, NBA draft around the corner and free agency following soon after, Detroit needs a general manager.
Here’s one more name to watch as the search, run by Pistons owner Tom Gores (right), unfolds. A. Sherrod Blakely of CSN Boston:
Mike Zarren, the Celtics’ well-respected, numbers-crunching, assistant general manager, is again under consideration for another job.
He is among the early names to surface for the soon-to-be vacant GM job with the Detroit Pistons.
Editor’s Note: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $55,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Blakely, who now covers the Celtics, previously covered the Pistons. So, he’s well-positioned to gather info from both sides.
If the Pistons ultimately choose Zarren, an analytics whiz best known for developing the “wheel,” they might have trouble landing him.
Zarren is a Celtics fan. He grew up in Massachusetts and had Celtics season tickets long before getting hired by the team. He even still wears an old-school green Celtics satin jacket around the arena. And he turned down becoming the 76ers general manager last year.
What can Detroit offer that Philadelphia couldn’t? If the Pistons are going to proceed with Zarren, that’s the question they must address first. Like the 76ers, the Pistons can’t be the Celtics. If there’s another way they can differentiate themselves, Zarren would make a strong candidate.
He’s bright, has worked himself up the ranks and has years of front-office experience. He’s certainly qualified to warrant serious consideration for the opening.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 16
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 4
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11