Apr 24, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
The Memphis Grizzlies have managed to keep their core of Marc Gasol, Zach Randolph, Mike Conley and Tony Allen together for a few seasons now, and as a result, the team has played a style of basketball that’s created an identity.
Allen coined the phrase “Grit and Grind” to describe how Memphis goes about its basketball business, and FedEx Forum where the team plays its home games has come to be known as the Grindhouse.
It’s great for the local fans to be able to rally around and embrace something like this, but it only serves to annoy those outside of that inner circle — and that apparently includes Russell Westbrook.
[Westbrook] was responding to a question from one of Memphis’s longest-tenured TV sports anchors, Jarvis Greer, that went like this: “Your road record is one of the best in the NBA but talk a little bit specifically about playing here in the Grindhouse against this team.”
Westbrook gave Greer a bit of a quizzical look and said, “”You said the FedExForum? That’s the name of the arena, right?”
To which, Greer answered in the affirmative. Then Westbrook continued: “Uh, playing at the, uh, FedExForum , it’s a good arena, the fans are loud and they cheer on their team and we just gotta come in and play our game.”
Westbrook has a history of getting a bit testy with reporters, but this seemed like a different situation.
— CA Sports (@memphissports) April 24, 2014
There’s no reason for Westbrook to respect the identity of his opponent, or to give them any additional respect by recognizing it.
But making a point to stubbornly refuse to go along with it like this is some next-level trolling — a craft which Westbrook seems to be honing to perfection.
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 0
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 17
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 6
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7