Apr 24, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
The number of probable first-round picks who’ve declared for the 2014 NBA draft keeps rising.
The Swiss power forward who’s playing in the top French league is a likely first-round pick. He’s 6-foot-11 with a 7-foot-5 wingspan, springy and has a nose for the ball. But he doesn’t have a great feel once the ball is in his hands.
Capela will turn 20 before the draft, and he’s just beginning to realize his rebounding/shot-blocking potential in Europe. How much a team believes he can refine his shooting and ball-handling will determine just where he gets picked. My bet is middle of the first round.
Capela has a $500,000 buyout, he told Marc J. Spears of Yahoo Sports, but that’s within the range teams can contribute without it counting against team salary. It shouldn’t significantly, if at all, affect his draft stock.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
French forward Damien Inglis is also declaring for the draft, according to Spears. Inglis is more likely to fall in the second round-to-undrafted range.
Before the season, Inglis signed a three-year contract, according to Jonathan Givony of Draft Express. Unlike Capela, buyout issues could drop Inglis.
But he has one major positive going for him: his age. Just two players remained 19 all of this season – Giannis Antetokounmpo and Archie Goodwin. Inglis could do it next season. That might convince a team to draft and develop him – or draft him and leave him overseas to develop.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 1
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 2
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 14
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11