Apr 24, 2014, 1:22 PM EST
More specifically, Marc Stein of ESPN reported:
The decision on whether to retain Vogel at season’s end ultimately rests with Pacers president Larry Bird, sources said
Pacers general manager has his own report:
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Is Vogel coaching for his job? I don’t have access to Bird’s thoughts, but common sense says yes.
The Pacers are in free fall. They’ve gone 11-14 in their last 25 games, dating back to the regular season. Players are reportedly fighting each other behind closed doors, and they’re definitely feuding publicly.
That might not be all Vogel’s fault or even Vogel’s fault at all, but a new voice for the sake of change might be the best way to revitalize a talented roster. Maybe the Pacers just need some time of shock to wake them up.
If Indiana loses to the Hawks – a distinct possibility – dropping Vogel should be considered, even though he’s a good coach. Every NBA coach is on a clock of losing his team, and maybe an early loss would mean Vogel has lost this one.
But here’s why Pritchard is speaking out: The Pacers could still reach the NBA Finals.
They Hawks are pretty bad for a playoff team, and Indiana was better than the Wizards and Bulls for the season on the whole. That still counts for something. The Pacers were also built to match up with the Heat, the most-likely conference finalist.
It’s not an easy road, but it’s at least possible, and the Pacers don’t need their – however faint – hopes undermined by Vogel rumors. For now, they need to keep moving as if they’re on the same page.
If the Pacers lose to Atlanta, I’d like to see what Pritchard’s source’s sources say then.
As is losing in the first round.
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 5
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 17
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 14
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 29
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 8
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7