Apr 24, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT
Tony Allen is one of the best individual defenders in the league and for two games he has made things as difficult for Kevin Durant as anyone is going to. The MVP to be is scoring 34.5 points a game through two games (it was 32 a game in the regular season), but he shot 12-of-28 in Game 2. Durant kills people with his ability to pull up, but he is shooting just 30 percent on those in the first two games. (Durant is still killing it on the catch and shoot, he’s taken 24 in two games and shot 56.3 percent.)
When Durant spoke to the media on Wednesday, he got peppered with questions about Allen’s defense.
And Durant found those as annoying as Allen’s defense, reports the Commercial Appeal.
“He’s good,” Durant said. “He’s good at dodging screens. He’s physical. Everybody plays the same way with me, though.”
When asked about Allen a few minutes later, a more agitated Durant again paused before responding.
“It’s not like I’m just totally getting locked down,” Durant, who is averaging 34.5 points in the series, said. “He’s making it tough. It’s not like I’m just non-existent. I don’t know what you guys have been watching. He’s just making me work, like everybody else will.”
Two games in, Tony Allen has been the MVP of this series, so there are going to be questions about him. Suck it up, KD.
As usual with the Thunder offense, the issue isn’t Durant. It’s some of Westbrook’s shot choices in the clutch. It’s the lack of other guys stepping up. Mostly the latter, as a series goes on the Thunder lack a depth of options to turn to for points.
Durant is just fine. He will get his.
The bigger problem for the Thunder was getting stops in Game 2 — Durant would hit ridiculous falling out of bounds shots and the Grizzlies would come back down, Mike Conley would get into the paint, make the extra pass and the Griz would get a clean look. That is the end of the floor the Thunder need to improve or Memphis is not going to be a pleasant memory for them.
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 10
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 16
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 18
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34