Josh McRoberts fined $20,000 for forearm foul to LeBron’s throat

Apr 24, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

How the referees at the time didn’t review this than eject Josh McRoberts for a forearm to the throat of LeBron James is an Amelia Earhart level mystery. But at least the league has stepped in and done something about it.

The NBA announced Thursday that the foul was upgraded to a Flagrant 2 — meaning McRoberts should have been ejected — and McRoberts has been fined $20,000.

However, McRoberts avoids a suspension.

Before the playoffs started the NBA let teams know about referees “area of emphasis” during the postseason and fouls above the shoulders was one of them. They don’t want guys getting hit in the head.

McRoberts didn’t make a play on the ball and led with his forearm — that’s an automatic ejection. If he had gotten a suspension for that I could have seen it, but the fine is at least a big step up.

Charlotte played Miami tight and hard in Game 2, but the Heat still prevailed and lead the series 2-0.

1. phillysports1 - Apr 24, 2014 at 5:07 PM

20 G’s ? Wow !!!! ..Oh wait , is Lebron smh

• irvfin3 - Apr 24, 2014 at 6:50 PM

It’s Lebron? That doesn’t make sense it would have been the same if it were Melo Wade KD PG Blake etc. Players and coaches get find 20Gs even as much as 50Gs for something similar as this come on! I’m not a big Lebron fan but look they didn’t rule the correct call in his favor!

• ranfan12 - Apr 24, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Lol really

The NBA fined Jorge Guiterrez (Bro) $15,000 for making excessive contact
      above the shoulders of Cody Zeller (Cha) during Wednesday’s Bro-Cha gem.

3/23/14
      The NBA fined Drew Gooden (Was) $15,000 for attempting to throw Nick Young
      (Was) to the floor during Friday’s Was-LAL game.

3/13/14
      The NBA fined John Wall (Was) $15,000 for criticizing the refs after
      Wednesday’s Was-Cha game.

2/27/14
      The NBA suspended DeMarcus Cousins (Sac) for 1 game and fined him $20,000
      for throwing a punch at Patrick Beverley (Hou) and berating the refs
      during Tuesday’s Sac-Hou game.

1/19/14
      The NBA fined Sacramento coach Michael Malone $25,000 for verbal abuse of
      a ref and not proceeding to the locker room following Friday’s Sac-Mem
      game.

1/19/14
      The NBA fined David West (Ind) $15,000 for elbowing Blake Griffin (LAC) in
      the jaw during Saturday’s Ind-LAC game.

You act like 5Gs more in playoffs is a huge deal lmao

• southbeachtalent - Apr 24, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Wow imagine that… Actual facts! And I had given up..

2. dolphindubs - Apr 24, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Of course it was a flagrant foul. He made absolutely NO attempt at the basketball. Dont know how the refs missed it.

Oh, I know how. The refs dont protect LeBron like they do other superstars. Case in point…

2013-14 FT Attempts:
    Durant 805
    James 585

Even though Durant is a jump shooter and LeBron attacks the basket, Durant took 220 more free throw attempts this year.

Hmmm…

• genericusername93 - Apr 24, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Agreed. I think LeBron shares the blame for the low free throw attempts this year. He didn’t attack like he has in the past and he played like he was preserving his body for the stretch run most of the year.

But that foul from McRoberts not being called flagrant in the game is an absolute joke. Lebron got a flagrant on an offensive foul going up against Hibbert but McBob throwing a forearm shiver at LBJ’s Adam’s apple is common, c’mon.

• jpa1713 - Apr 24, 2014 at 8:25 PM

i think this is because lebron somewhat has a reputation as a flopper. same as cp3. but no doubt that should have been flagrant 2, fine and suspension

3. reesesteel23 - Apr 24, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Good….I mean…either take a charge, go straight up, or get out of the damn way.

Don’t jump an extend your elbow lol…I mean wtf

• wordyduke - Apr 25, 2014 at 9:18 AM

McRoberts may not have had time actually to think about it, except that he was going to take a charge for the team. Oh, and if I’m not going to get pulverized trying to take the charge, I’m going to stick my forearm out in front of Lebron’s windpipe to slow him down. Otherwise, I’m freight-trained.

4. soopreme - Apr 24, 2014 at 5:42 PM

This is why teams take matters into their own hands.

• kb2408 - Apr 24, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Oh, please, how?! Back in the 80’s and 90’s that was true but today dudes just point and talk crap. When was the last real tussle in the NBA?! My point exactly.

• azarkhan - Apr 24, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Back in the 80’s and 90’s the NBA allowed players to get into it. Now, a player gets a game suspension just for coming off the bench and walking on the court. Don’t blame the players, blame David Stern.

• fanofthegame79 - Apr 24, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Thank you, azarkhan. I don’t get people that blame players for the rules of the game. As the saying goes: don’t hate the player, hate the game. I saw that 30 for 30, as well, and that beating Parrish put on Lambier during the 1987 playoffs would have been a 30-game suspension these days. I’m not mad at that, either. These players make A LOT of money (I know, Captain Obvious), and the owners want to protect their investment.

• soopreme - Apr 24, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Did you see what Pittman and Haslem did in the playoffs last year?

• gofinsgoheatfloria - Apr 24, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Memory less due to aging is a tragic thing. Let me help, with this from the playoffs two years ago:

• Miami305 - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Just wait, Liberty City bred Udonis Haslem (AKA The Enforcer) is going to mess McHippie up next game. Watch!

5. cantonbound13 - Apr 24, 2014 at 5:44 PM

That was beautiful, worth every penny.
    How much was LeBaby fined for his flying elbow on Hibbert? That’s right, he wasn’t. Another example of the league taking care of the Heat.

• kb2408 - Apr 24, 2014 at 5:47 PM

@canton…preach, bro! Let the church say amen!!

• pacersfan1 - Apr 24, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Amen!

• cantonbound13 - Apr 25, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Someone needs to straighten out these bandwagoners. I see I’m getting more & more support on here.

• miamatt - Apr 24, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Near, far, wherever you are
      I believe that the heart does troll on
      Once more you open the door
      And you’re here in my heart
      And my heart will troll on and on

6. indyzown - Apr 24, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Why wasn’t LeBron fined , when he elbowed roy ?

• miamatt - Apr 24, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Simple: it was one of the biggest BS calls of the entire season.

• pacersfan1 - Apr 24, 2014 at 6:45 PM

If LeBron was elbowed in the face by Roy all of you heat fans would call for Roy to seat for 50 games. Let all fill bad for LeBron and hope next time micbob knocks his bald band and his head off his shoulders.

• antistratfordian - Apr 24, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Ha. People think he’s Larry Csonka! Bron Bron must be some sort of bad a– to deliver KO blows while on offense.

I thought LeBron was supposed to be soft…? lol.

• ProBasketballPundit - Apr 24, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Because it was incidental contact. You seriously think LeBron is that talented that he can score baskets and take out 390lb giants with his elbows simultaneously? You must love LeBron more than I do.

7. dirtyjerseysports - Apr 24, 2014 at 6:12 PM

LOL I wonder what Laimbeer and Mahorn think about this. LeVag

• cantonbound13 - Apr 24, 2014 at 6:21 PM

LeBaby would never survive 80s & 90s basketball .

• antistratfordian - Apr 24, 2014 at 7:27 PM

LeBron would dominate the 80s even more than he dominates today. Those toothpicks back could push eachother around – but they would’ve never seen anything like LeBron barreling towards them. They’d have to hit the weight room before thinking about jumping in front of that train.

6’8 Len Bias was considered a big and “muscular Adonis” in 1986 and he weighed 40 pounds less than LeBron.

• cantonbound13 - Apr 25, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Karl Malone & all the dominant centers Robinson, Ewing, Shaq, Olajuwon, etc… We’re not toothpicks. Maybe if you actually watched the NBA more than 4 years ago you would know what you’re talking about.

• antistratfordian - Apr 25, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Well I started watching the NBA in 1986, so…

But you’re missing the point. Aside from LeBron actually being heavier than most of those guys, the players you listed aren’t also speedy perimeter players that other players feel compelled to hammer when they enter the paint at full speed – which happens often with LeBron. It’s a physics issue that the league hasn’t really seen before. Mark Price never had to worry about Olajuwon coming at him with 4.4 speed on a fast break. (Perhaps there was a slight concern with Malone, but he wasn’t anywhere near as fast or as athletic as LeBron)

But I’m glad you mentioned Malone, because no one messed with Malone when he went on a fast break. Players were afraid of getting steamrolled. They just got out of the way. The same respect would’ve been given to LeBron – he’s just too big for that era. Today, though, Malone might get tackled like LeBron does.

• leahcima1 - Apr 24, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Right on cantonjerk. Losers bray at the mouth, winners count rings and MVP trophies. Which are you? LMAO.

PS Congratulations you were able to write a sentence with out ped in it. You’re learning. You must be going to night school for your GED

• cantonbound13 - Apr 25, 2014 at 8:13 AM

I have nothing to say to you. You proved without a doubt that you are a loser. 31 championships to your putrid 7. According to you, that makes you the loser in life. Nothing else needs to be said. You proved my point.

• ProBasketballPundit - Apr 24, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Why are you fetishizing 80’s basketball? If you really want to see sweaty dudes beat the christ out of each other why don’t you watch UFC or football and get off this blog?

8. dirtyjerseysports - Apr 24, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Cant wait for the 30 for 30 LeVagisil documentary.

• fanofthegame79 - Apr 24, 2014 at 6:21 PM

You know you’ll watch it…..just whackin’ away, too. It’s ok, you can admit your secret obsession with LeBron – we’ll all friends here.

• dirtyjerseysports - Apr 24, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Hell have no fury like a LeMeatrider scorned

9. prareedoggin - Apr 24, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Lebron altered his shot after hibbert contested it. Are you that stupid that you believe lebron jumped into hibbert leading with his elbow from the very moment he went up for the rim? God man, some of you are too much. I understand thats your team and you hate lebron but your looking pretty stupid bringing up stuff like that. Do yourself a favor and watch it again or get your eyes fixed or learn the NBA rules a little bit better. Actually your ignorance is pretty amusing

• davidtmp - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:43 AM

LOL-whatever. I’ve seen alot of players alter their shots after being defended, but leading with elbows wasn’t usually the altered shots. Wade does it too……sorry you’re a Heat fan and trying to defend your guys, but come on.

10. lj312chicago - Apr 24, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Remember when the heat came out with the list of ways to be a heat fan….oh bron bron

11. bbk1000 - Apr 24, 2014 at 7:18 PM

LeBron should join the WWE.

He could wear that black mask he loved so much, some tights, and jump in the ring.

The Big Flopper…..Pepe’ LeFlop….something of that sort.

12. ProBasketballPundit - Apr 24, 2014 at 7:29 PM

UD better knock McRoberts da f*** out in game 3.

• southbeachtalent - Apr 24, 2014 at 8:47 PM

The call has been made

13. 1972wasalongtimeago - Apr 24, 2014 at 7:50 PM

If I’m McRoberts, I’m feeling a slight hamstring issue that might take me out of game 3. The league left the Heat with no choice. He’s going down. And he’s going down hard.

• miamatt - Apr 24, 2014 at 9:02 PM

It puts the lotion on its skin.

• packergator - Apr 25, 2014 at 9:38 AM

…or else it gets the hose again.

• cantonbound13 - Apr 25, 2014 at 8:09 AM

14. dolphindubs - Apr 24, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Yeah, McRoberts better keep his head on a swivel. Haslem doesnt have to play in Game 4 for the Heat to win…

15. saint1997 - Apr 24, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Hahahah oh my word I love LeBron haters. They’re the epitome of hilarity – they spend their time just feeling hatred toward a man that doesn’t know their name and couldn’t care less what it is. Hahah and they hate these people as well who suggest elbowing someone in the throat deserves a fine!! I am laughing really hard at the image of you guys typing this on your laptop in public, smirking to yourself, then turning around and seeing LeBron has been lookin over your shoulder and watching you guys panic and grovel would be a sight for the ages

• southbeachtalent - Apr 24, 2014 at 8:46 PM

That or they’d spot LeBron and run over begging for an autograph.

16. brokerhenry - Apr 24, 2014 at 9:00 PM

The people talking about the 80 need to realize the game has moved on. Listen, there were books written on how to deliver legal blows on the court!! I kid you not!! I had one of them!!! That was not basketball! That was thuggery!! My god, why would anyone want to go back to the days of defense so ferocious that players were eating pain killers like football players? I don’t want that for my 4 month old. I rather kind of like this skilled play level that we have now. Please leave the body blows era to the past. I just shudder to see all those body blows that were being delivered during screens and pick settings!! No way man!!

17. lakerade - Apr 24, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Guess it was, then.

18. golfrangeman - Apr 24, 2014 at 10:11 PM

I get a kick outa these idiots saying LeBron couldn’t play in the 80s. Why don’t you ask yourself if half the goons in the 80s could play today. Players hit and hold because they don’t have the quickness and talent to defend.

19. dolphindubs - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:18 AM

“Who’s going to take him out? Bosh Spice? One legged Wade? Old man Oden? Child molester Anderson? Always injured Haslem? Face it your team is old & a bunch of soft floppers.”

@cantonbound13

Bosh spice? Big shot Bosh has taken and made more big shots than any-and-everyone on your Knickerboxers team ever has and ever will. One legged Wade? I’ll take the hobbled Wade of today over your pretty boy Carmelo 101/100 times. Wade is a champion. Carmelo? Enough said. Old man Oden? Okay…I’ll give you that. Child molester Anderson? I’m pretty sure Chris could bring a defamation lawsuit against you just for posting that egregious comment. Always injured Haslem? Haslem isnt always injured, he just gets a lot of DNP CD’s.

Our team is old. And they do flop from time to time. But at least we get to cheer and root for champions.

Hows your Knickerboxers doing eh?

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches