Apr 23, 2014, 6:41 PM EDT
Spurs assistant Jim Boylen is still the favorite to land the job, but we’ve seen a few interesting names pop up in the Jazz coaching search:
Ettore Messina, the legendary European coach now the head coach of CSKA Moscow is one. Mike Longabardi, a current top Suns assistant coach who was with Doc Rivers in Boston is another. Steve Kerr and Lionel Hollins are long shots, but when compiling a list of potentials why not throw a long shot or two on the list?
Now Marc Stein of ESPN throws out another name — Quin Snyder.
Snyder likely gets a look for more than one head coaching job this summer.
The Jazz need someone they can count on long term, someone good at player development. They have good young players such as Gordon Hayward, Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter and Trey Burke, plus a high draft pick in this upcoming draft (they have a 10.4 percent chance of the top pick in the lottery and if things follow form they would have the No. 4 pick overall). They need a coach who can develop and mold that talent into a team.
The Jazz are a patient, deliberate organization. Expect them to treat this coaching search that way. They will not rush for the sake of rushing.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 32
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 14
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 8
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0