PBT Extra: How ’bout them Wizards?

Apr 23, 2014, 5:49 PM EDT

The biggest story of the young playoffs so far is the play of the Washington Wizards — they are now up 2-0 on the Chicago Bulls and heading home for games three and four.

J. Michael of CSNWashington.com joins Kay Adams to talk all things Wizards: what the come-from-behind wins say about the team, what John Wall has been able to do not just as an offensive lynchpin but as a game manager, and of course the fantastic play of Nene.

You have to be pumped if you’re a Wizards fan who now looks ahead and sees the Pacers (or maybe Hawks, but probably Pacers) in the second round and think you have a chance to win more than one series this postseason.

1. saint1997 - Apr 23, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Woo! Conference finals Wiz! John Wall best PG in the East and he’s letting everyone know!

• fanofthegame79 - Apr 23, 2014 at 7:21 PM

I’ve been thinking that same thing after watching them play this post-season.

2. antistratfordian - Apr 23, 2014 at 6:05 PM

KD is keepin’ tabs on ‘em.

• denverhoopdreams - Apr 23, 2014 at 6:11 PM

I’ve told you before that I have trouble agreeing with you. But I agree with you again. Will not be surprised to see Durant playing for the Wiz within the next couple of seasons.

• redbaronx - Apr 23, 2014 at 7:50 PM

@denverhoopdreams – As a Wizards fan, I hope you’d be right, but I highly doubt Durant would leave OKC. That’s his team and identity out there, and he cares about those kind of things from every comment he’s made about basketball, the city, and what they’ve built there. The dreamer in me dreams, but the realist in me says its never going to happen.

3. mungman69 - Apr 23, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Great guards and tuff big men AND peaking at the right time.

4. borderline1988 - Apr 23, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Nene is the most underrated player in the NBA.

He’s such a beast and doesn’t really have any weaknesses. Good rebounder, excellent defender, good shooter, can put the ball on the floor, finish on either side of the basket, good size and strength.

It’s too bad he hasn’t been able to stay healthy in his career, would likely have been a perennial all-star otherwise.

• fanofthegame79 - Apr 23, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Unfortunately, his weakness has been his health and his body. Aside from that, I’ve always been a fan of his game.

5. ranoversquarells - Apr 23, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Look at all these closet wizard fans coming out of the woodward

• redbaronx - Apr 23, 2014 at 7:51 PM

@ranoversquarells – I’ve been on here for years….

• redbaronx - Apr 23, 2014 at 7:52 PM

@ranoversquarells – by the way…..it’s not “Woodward” it’s “Woodworks”

6. uscoach - Apr 23, 2014 at 10:46 PM

I’ve been on here for about a year. The Wiz get no love usually (with good reason)….so there’s nothing to say. Until this season that is.

• arrondior - Apr 24, 2014 at 8:38 AM

I agree. I’m a Washington native and this city had pretty much forgotten it had a Basketball franchise here until this playoff birth.

Now if we could only get them to change their name to something better. ANYTHING would have been better. I mean if you are going to poach from fantasy… go with Dragons. I mean almost any name would be better than the Wizards.

7. irvness21 - Apr 24, 2014 at 10:50 AM

The Wizards are exciting to watch this year and yes they are finally playing like the talented team they are. Nene, Gortat, Booker and Seraphin may not be household names yet (except for Nene) but they have a front line that can run with anybody in the league. These bigs can run the floor with Wall and Beal and still play great D. Beal’s game has developed faster than i thought and Wall is showing the league he should be mentioned in the category of best PG’s. We have a deep bench and can space the floor with shooters in both corners. If we can get 2 more years outta Nene (i doubt it but hope so) and add solid veterans like an Andre Miller a finals appearance is not out of the picture.

• redbaronx - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:20 PM

@irvness21 – The real question is how long will Nene last. He typically spends a lot of time on the injured list, so moving forward, the Wizards need to groom a draft pick or look around the league for centers in the next couple of years. The four spot at Power Forward could also be an issue in a year or two, but the Wizards seem to be golden for the 1 through 3 spots.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches