Apr 23, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
Miami Heat starting point guard Mario Chalmers is questionable for Wednesday’s playoff game against the Charlotte Bobcats after bruising his knee Sunday in Game 1.
Chalmers was limited in practice Tuesday and will be reevaluated by team trainers before Wednesday morning’s shootaround and then again before Game 2 of the first-round playoff series.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The Heat probably don’t need Chalmers to win Game 2, but if they’re committed to starting Udonis Haslem, it could help in the long run.
Miami’s Game 1 starting lineup – Chalmers, Haslem, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh – played just 68 minutes together during the regular season and struggled in that limited sample (offensive rating: 85.4/defensive rating: 95.1/net rating: -9.8). The unit was also outscored by 13 points in nine minutes during Game 1.
Ideally for the Heat, they can give that lineup more time to find its groove, but that’s not necessarily about winning this series.
Erik Spoelstra should think long term. On one hand, that means letting Chalmers get healthy, but that also means Chalmers and the other starters developing chemistry. How Chalmers feels should dictate which way the coach falls.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23