Apr 23, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
Miami Heat starting point guard Mario Chalmers is questionable for Wednesday’s playoff game against the Charlotte Bobcats after bruising his knee Sunday in Game 1.
Chalmers was limited in practice Tuesday and will be reevaluated by team trainers before Wednesday morning’s shootaround and then again before Game 2 of the first-round playoff series.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The Heat probably don’t need Chalmers to win Game 2, but if they’re committed to starting Udonis Haslem, it could help in the long run.
Miami’s Game 1 starting lineup – Chalmers, Haslem, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh – played just 68 minutes together during the regular season and struggled in that limited sample (offensive rating: 85.4/defensive rating: 95.1/net rating: -9.8). The unit was also outscored by 13 points in nine minutes during Game 1.
Ideally for the Heat, they can give that lineup more time to find its groove, but that’s not necessarily about winning this series.
Erik Spoelstra should think long term. On one hand, that means letting Chalmers get healthy, but that also means Chalmers and the other starters developing chemistry. How Chalmers feels should dictate which way the coach falls.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11