Apr 23, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
But what if Minnesota could get a coach with more NBA wins than those four combined?
Timberwolves president Flip Saunders – who previously coached Minnesota, Detroit and Washington – wouldn’t rule out taking the job himself.
many believe he would like to return to the bench with the Wolves.
“I’m not going to answer that,” Saunders said when asked if he could do both jobs. “You never know. Ideally right now we’re going to do a search. The search isn’t just coming to talk to me. We’ll sit down and put together a list, see the interest those people have and we’ll make decisions based on that.”
Saunders, 59, might just want to move onto the next stage of his life. Coaching is a grind, and it’d be reasonable to put that behind him.
But as team president, Saunders’ No. 1 task is retaining Kevin Love. The best chance Minnesota has of doing that – even if any plan is unlikely – is to put a strong team on the floor next season, and a quality coach would certainly help.
Saunders is a complex offensive thinker, though his defense can be lacking. With the right players, his teams can be pretty good, even if there’s probably a ceiling on his success.
But the Timberwolves shouldn’t be worried about upside. They need to get as good as possible immediately to boost their case for Love.
No doubt, the Timberwolves would be better off landing a better coach who handles one role full-time. It sounds like that’s their first option, too.
But if they can’t get a good coach, Saunders could help as a stop-gap.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4