Apr 23, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
But what if Minnesota could get a coach with more NBA wins than those four combined?
Timberwolves president Flip Saunders – who previously coached Minnesota, Detroit and Washington – wouldn’t rule out taking the job himself.
many believe he would like to return to the bench with the Wolves.
“I’m not going to answer that,” Saunders said when asked if he could do both jobs. “You never know. Ideally right now we’re going to do a search. The search isn’t just coming to talk to me. We’ll sit down and put together a list, see the interest those people have and we’ll make decisions based on that.”
Saunders, 59, might just want to move onto the next stage of his life. Coaching is a grind, and it’d be reasonable to put that behind him.
But as team president, Saunders’ No. 1 task is retaining Kevin Love. The best chance Minnesota has of doing that – even if any plan is unlikely – is to put a strong team on the floor next season, and a quality coach would certainly help.
Saunders is a complex offensive thinker, though his defense can be lacking. With the right players, his teams can be pretty good, even if there’s probably a ceiling on his success.
But the Timberwolves shouldn’t be worried about upside. They need to get as good as possible immediately to boost their case for Love.
No doubt, the Timberwolves would be better off landing a better coach who handles one role full-time. It sounds like that’s their first option, too.
But if they can’t get a good coach, Saunders could help as a stop-gap.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 25
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 31
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 13
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 43
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42