Apr 22, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Jose Calderon can’t guard Tony Parker. During the regular season Parker torched Calderon, so at the start of Game 1 in the playoffs the Mavericks tried to use Shawn Marion on Parker… which might have worked with 28-year-old Matrix. However, the 35-year-old version can’t do the job as well.
Parker got 9 first quarter points on 4-of-6 shooting. Parker was also key to the 19-2 run at the end of the game that gave San Antonio a come from behind win to take a 1-0 series lead. All game long Parker off the pick-and-roll was a problem for Dallas — the Mavs switched everything but the veteran Parker just found the mismatch and exploited it.
Calderon struggled and Devin Harris played well off the bench behind Calderon, so….
“We’re rolling the way we’re set up,” Nowitzki said. “Jose has been our starter the whole year. We’ve got to start the game off a little better. I think we were a little slow and we were down eight or 10 pretty quick there in the first quarter, so we’ve got to be a little better there, but Jose is our starter. He’s the guy that puts us in our plays and we’re rolling with it.”
We should note that Dallas coach Rick Carlisle was much more coy about changes, as coaches tend to be discussing strategy in the playoffs.
I expect we’ll see Calderon start Game 2 Wednesday in San Antonio. However Carlisle benched him from the middle of the third quarter on and expect Carlisle to have a quick trigger again. If Harris is playing well we will see a lot Harris and other matchups.
The question is does it matter how Carlisle arranges his pawns on the board when Gregg Popovich is playing with knights, bishops and rooks?
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 2
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 9
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68