Apr 22, 2014, 2:40 AM EDT
Our quick look around the NBA, or what you missed while reading the oral history (in twitter form) of Mike Woodson’s path to being fired…
Mike Conley, Memphis Grizzlies. I saw a couple Grizzlies fans on twitter knocking Conley for a missing a couple free throws late and getting stripped by Thabo Sefolosha for a turnover. Guess what — without Conley’s performance the Grizzlies lose that game by 20. He was fantastic on the pick-and-roll, attacking and pushing into the defense (Marc Gasol would come to an elbow area to create another option, and when Gasol got the ball and the defense helped it opened up backdoor cuts that the Grizzlies exploited all night). The Grizzlies controlled the tempo of the game — a lot of that was the patient Conley. He finished with 19 points and 12 assists, plus did a good job defending Russell Westbrook. Conley is one of the most underrated point guard sin the NBA and he showed why on Monday.
Beno Udrih, Memphis Grizzlies. When Conley sat, Udrih was fantastic. The guy the Grizzlies picked up off the waiver wire and Mike Woodson decided not to use him, Udrih kept the ball moving and finished with 14 points on 6-of-8 shooting. The Thunder guards would go under picks and Udrih just made them pay every time. It was a blow when Nick Calathes got a 20-game suspension but Udrih made Grizzlies fans forget that for a night.
Blake Griffin, Los Angeles Clippers. David Lee cannot cover Blake Griffin, and with Andrew Bogut out the smart help for Lee is gone (no offense intended to Jermaine O’Neal, but it’s not the same). In Game 1 the Clippers couldn’t exploit that because Griffin was in foul trouble from the start. In Game 2 there were no fouls but there was a very aggressive Griffin who was attacking the rim (9-of-11 inside 8 feet shooting) and it was key to the Clippers jumping out to a fast lead in what became a 40-point blowout. Griffin finished with a playoff high 35 points in just 30 minutes of play.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 41
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31