Kevin Garnett responds to Raptors’ complaints about officiating: ‘In the playoffs you’re not going to get calls’
Apr 22, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
There was plenty of whining coming out of Toronto following the Raptors’ Game 1 loss to the Nets, and much of it centered around the officiating.
The Raptors are new to the postseason, and so are their fans, having not experienced playoff basketball in six years, and having only seen what it’s like to get out of the first round once in the team’s 19-year history.
Blaming the officials for a loss is the worst kind of fandom, reserved for the uneducated and narcissistic who feel the world is out to get their favorite team. Kevin Garnett was more subtle in responding to the chatter, and essentially said that it’s foolish for any team to expect to get the calls in a postseason series.
Toronto Raptors coach Dwane Casey found the lack of calls his team received in the fourth quarter of its Game 1 playoff matchup “unusual,” but Brooklyn Nets big man Kevin Garnett is willing to chalk it up to postseason basketball.
“In the playoffs you’re not going to get calls,” Garnett said. “If you do, then you’re fortunate. Playing on the road is very difficult. We know that. Some of us do. And that’s just expected to come with the series. Things are not going to go the way that you want them and you have to just continue to be aggressive. But that’s the difference between experience and non-experience.” …
“I’m not going to comment on officiating, except to say I went back to watch the calls in the fourth quarter and we didn’t get any,” Casey said on Monday. “And that’s unusual.”
It’s Casey’s job to lobby the officials, but nonsense like this, which claims small market discrimination, conspiracy and lack of respect, is bad for the game and only serves to further fuel the fans’ collective ignorance.
Toronto lost Game 1 for basketball reasons (shoutout to David Stern), most of which are intelligently chronicled here. If the Toronto players are truly going to be focused more on the officiating than on making the necessary adjustments, then this playoff series, like all but one in the Raptors’ franchise history, has already been lost.
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 4
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 27
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31