Apr 22, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT
In a kind moment, Gregg Popovich conducted an interview with Craig Sager’s son and urged the elder Sager, who’s battling leukemia, to return to work.
Popovich even pledged to be nice.
Was anyone else weirded out by that? I sure was, and apparently, so was Sager.
“Pop saying he wanted me back and then promising to be nice? I was like, Oh, my God, that’s unbelievable, what an honor,” said Sager, whose exchanges with the curt Popovich have become a much-anticipated part of TNT’s NBA telecasts. “But then I started thinking about it: If I come back and Pop starts being nice to me, it just wouldn’t be right. I want him to go Serbian [Popovich was born to a Serbian father] on me.”
Here’s good news for Sager: I never believed Popovich. Sure, he’d probably be nice during Sager’s first game back. After that? Not a chance.
But now Sager has added a twist to the equation. Will Popovich be nice just to spite Sager?
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 3
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 30
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19