Bradley Beal ups trash talk: He rips Chicago-style deep dish pizza

Apr 22, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT

I’m putting my bias up front here: I love Chicago-style pizza. More than New York style. More than authentic Italian style. More than Wolfgang Puck’s funky creations. I like and eat them all, I have no pizza hate in me (I’ve had pizza with duck on it), but if given my choice for my last meal and a lack of concern for my arteries, I go Chicago.

That doughy, gooey delicious pizza is a Chicago birthright, one they defend like it was the Iron Throne.

The Washington Wizards’ Bradley Beal has thrown down the pizza gauntlet in this series, as reported by pizza loving J. Michael at CSNWashington.com.

“I can’t eat the fat pie, whatever it’s called, the deep dish pizza,” he said before Tuesday’s shootaround going into Game 2 with the Chicago Bulls. “I can’t eat that. I had the regular thin one. I didn’t eat a lot (of the deep dish). It’ll just sit there (in your stomach) and you’ll be in the bathroom for hours.”

Them’s fightin’ words.

You know Tom Thibodeau loves deep dish, just look at him.

Chicago needed to come out ready to fight already as they dropped Game 1 to the Wizards at home. Washington with a healthy Nene is both a rare and dangerous sight and the Bulls found out why in Game 1.

And now they have the honor of deep dish pizza to defend as well.

1. duhwighthoward - Apr 22, 2014 at 4:54 PM

I knew he was soft, but not being able to handle pizza?

• trevor123698 - Apr 23, 2014 at 12:52 AM

not one person alive can handle pizza. The process of pasteurization makes the proteins in the milk indigestible. Its not something that anyone can get around. Its just that you eat this garbage so often your body is accustomed to it being poisoned

• thenew013 - Apr 23, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Sorry trevor but that’s a huge guy code violation and u get a handsome thumbs down…you keep workin on them abs though. good 4 you.

• trevor123698 - Apr 23, 2014 at 4:16 PM

lol guy code violation to eat poison. Not a worry to me. I’d rather be alive

• trevor123698 - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:21 AM

its fitting that you mention abs. i worked my ass off in the gym for them and got fatter. i ate properly and take high quality youngevity supplements and i dont even have to work out to have a set. Its your choice

2. LilTmac2003 - Apr 22, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Lol.

Deep dish pizza is amazing.

#HonorThePizza

• chunkala - Apr 22, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Chicago style isn’t pizza, it’s pie.
      It’s just a dinner pie, not a dessert pie (apple, lemon, etc.)
      So comparing the two is apples and oranges.

• bigmeechy74 - Apr 23, 2014 at 11:21 AM

dumb

3. antistratfordian - Apr 22, 2014 at 5:11 PM

It doesn’t have to be either/or. New York style pizza is awesome and Chicago style pizza is awesome.

It’s the same with women’s a—-. You should be able to appreciate a juicy fat one just as much as a slim fit one.

• 1heatedtoombrayduh - Apr 23, 2014 at 9:10 AM

*starts a slow clap* lol

4. 00maltliquor - Apr 22, 2014 at 5:12 PM

jimee, this topic was made for you. The floor is yours…

• spthegr8 - Apr 22, 2014 at 6:59 PM

@Malt
      Please dont call that Dbag out Homie. He is corny AF!!!!

• dablakdrphil - Apr 22, 2014 at 7:30 PM

agreed with @spthegr8

I found that out yesterday

• spthegr8 - Apr 22, 2014 at 8:27 PM

@DrPhil
        I call him the King of the CORNY A$$ one liners or Jimee Chesse. He try’s soooooo hard to be funny, that he just comes of cheesy!!

5. calkinsrob - Apr 22, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Show me a person who doesn’t like deep dish pizza and Ill show you a liar lol

6. ranfan12 - Apr 22, 2014 at 5:50 PM

That’s the last straw. Bulls will take at least 2 more games now lol.

7. jnoah13 - Apr 22, 2014 at 6:35 PM

I’ve never met anyone who didnt like deep dish.

Anyone.

Like, anybody.

I am flabbergasted.

Beal I used to like you.

Now every thought has to have a space in it.

Thats how stupid you look, as stupid as I look.

8. seattlesuperchronic - Apr 22, 2014 at 6:43 PM

I’ve never been to Chicago so I’ve never had a real deep dish pizza. From everything I’ve heard, I’d let Mike Tyson punch me in the gut to try one.

9. sumkat - Apr 22, 2014 at 6:51 PM

I have to agree with him, they make positive a 2 hour trip to the bathroom.

10. tomtravis76 - Apr 22, 2014 at 6:56 PM

It’s not pizza, it’s a pie. Too much dough.

• urodaddy07 - Apr 22, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Oh you guys must have tried some bogus deep dish. It’s technically not pizza but it is delicious

11. eugenesaxe1 - Apr 22, 2014 at 7:08 PM

He didn’t say it tasted bad, and he didn’t say anything that isn’t true.

12. genericcommenter - Apr 22, 2014 at 9:21 PM

It’s not even pizza, and personally I can’t “handle” it too much, either- since I don’t want to eat something that will cause acid reflux for days, among other negative health consequences.

13. greej1938l - Apr 22, 2014 at 9:48 PM

New York style>Chicago Style

14. ProBasketballPundit - Apr 22, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Gino’s East is the sh**. Takes forever for them to get the pizza out on the table but once they do there aren’t any people complaining that it’s not NY style.

15. 12444uggg - Apr 22, 2014 at 10:31 PM

After spending some years in Chicago, it became pretty clear, no one who lives in Chicago eats Chicago style pizza, unless they’ve got friends in from out of town.

• 00maltliquor - Apr 23, 2014 at 1:13 AM

That sounds blasphemous.

Any Chiraq residents care to prove 12444uggg wrong? Speak now or forever hold your “piece” (see what I did there).

• campcouch - Apr 23, 2014 at 2:17 AM

it’s so wrong that it’s funny!

• 12444uggg - Apr 23, 2014 at 12:26 PM

just a sample of what “they” say.

16. campcouch - Apr 23, 2014 at 2:16 AM

He didn’t rip it,he said he can’t eat it.

17. lakerade - Apr 23, 2014 at 2:18 AM

He may not have to be around it again this season.

18. muhangis - Apr 23, 2014 at 5:34 AM

How can anyone hate on Chicago deep dish pizza???? I love all kinds of pizza myself, but that’s the #1 by far!

19. miamatt - Apr 23, 2014 at 9:10 AM

I was born and raised in Miami, but I definitely fell in love with that Chicago deep dish when I lived there.

I think my moment of clarity came when I ordered a sausage pizza, and it had an entire layer of sausage. Not pieces of sausage mind you, but like an entire “regular” pizza, made of sausage, within the Chicago pie. And a layer of cheese just as thick.

I wish I could get one down here in Miami.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches