Apr 21, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Tyrone Corbin is out in Utah, and the Jazz will need a replacement.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
One likely candidate for Jazz coaching job, sources tell Yahoo: Spurs assistant Jim Boylen. He has a strong history with GM Dennis Lindsey.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) April 21, 2014
Don’t confuse him with Jim Boylan, who has twice become interim coach following the mid-season firing of Scott Skiles, once for with the Bucks and once with the Bulls. Boylan is a Cavaliers assistant.
Boylen is an assistant in San Antonio – where Lindsey was an assistant general manager – and previously served as the University of Utah’s head coach. His Utes went 69-60, making the NCAA tournament once in four years. But their record worsened during his last three seasons.
A couple decades as an NBA and college assistant gives Boylen plenty of experience, and working for Gregg Popovich always helps someone’s reputation. But there’s nothing about him that screams obvious NBA head coach. He’s the type who’d have to – and might – interview well to get the job.
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 4
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 19
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 12
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 31
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 10
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25