Apr 21, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
The NBA won’t officially compute next season’s salary cap and luxury-tax line until July, but estimates are always helpful in projecting what options teams will have this offseason.
Sources told ESPN.com that all 30 teams were informed this week via league memorandum that an increase in the cap from this season’s $58.6 million to $63.2 million in 2014-15 — thanks to increased revenues — is now expected. A corresponding rise in the luxury-tax threshold from $71.7 million to $77 million is also projected, sources said.
This will affect every NBA team, but any with cap space this offseason will be happy with the large rise, as will any facing a luxury-tax bill. Here are few examples of how this projection affect teams:
- If the Bulls amnesty Carlos Boozer, they’d have $13,193,727 in cap room. If they further traded Taj Gibson and Mike Dunleavy with no salary returning, the Bulls would have enough cap room to sign Carmelo Anthony outright to his full max contract. That would leave them Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah, Tony Snell and Jimmy Butler under contract while keeping the No. 19 pick.
- The Rockets could still strip their roster to only Dwight Howard and James Harden and not have room to offer Carmelo Anthony his full max. Though they’d be just $496,877 shy of his potential first-year salary in cap room, that would mean losing valuable players like Chandler Parsons, Terrence Jones and Patrick Beverley. As with previous projections, Houston would almost certainly need a sign-and-trade to land Melo.
- The Heat might avoid the luxury tax now. Assuming they keep all five players with guaranteed contracts next season – LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh,Udonis Haslem (player option),Chris Andersen (player option) andNorris Cole – sign their No. 26 pick to a standard 120 percent contract, sign their second-round pick to a minimum contract and fill their roster with five minimum-salary players on one-year contracts, they’d be below the tax line with $1,316,033 in wiggle room. That would probably mean losing Mario Chalmers, though. But with LeBron, Wade and Bosh each holding early termination options, a lot can change.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:35 AM EDT
“Nothing to see here. Move along.”
Aug 1, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
Bosh was very close to leaving Miami in free agency,
Klay Thompson, Kyle Korver engage in three-point shooting contest at USA Basketball mini-camp (VIDEO)
Jul 31, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Klay Thompson and Kyle Korver engaged in a shooting contest at USA Basketball mini-camp in Vegas.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
Mason Plumlee and DeMarcus Cousins will be on opposing teams in Friday’s exhibition.
Derrick Rose was aggressive in pursuit of free agent Pau Gasol. Recruiting Carmelo Anthony? Not so much.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Tensions reportedly exist between Rose and the Bulls front office.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
USA roster has more than enough talent, so it can afford to sacrifice some to get positive attitudes in place.
If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible.
Jul 31, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
Don’t bet on it happening. But it’s not impossible.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
It’s the memory of a lifetime… even if you get embarrassed.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Mark Madsen and Paul Pressey also reportedly candidates for Byron Scott’s staff
Jul 31, 2014, 4:31 PM EDT
Watch this and remember why you love basketball.
Jul 31, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Wall raising expectations after Wizards met last season’s playoff goal
Jul 31, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
Jul 31, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Does China really know what it’s getting here?
Jul 31, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
As tight as he is with Kidd, do you really think Payton would choose Milwaukee over Los Angeles?
Jul 31, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
Milwaukee, with Damien Inglis in limbo, now facing roster crunch
Jul 31, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Like most “feuds,” once two rational people sit down and talk for a minute, everything dissipates.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
That means he’s signing with the Wizards, right?
Jul 31, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Barring another move, Toronto down to one roster spot for Lucas Nogueira or DeAndre Daniels
Jul 31, 2014, 10:41 AM EDT
“We think he’s one of the top players in the league and we need for him to be that five that nobody has.” —Mike Krzyzewski on Anthony Davis
Jul 31, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Palmer to marry celebrity hair stylist Tanya Stine
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43