Apr 21, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT
UPDATE 2:43 pm: Houston has officially confirmed that there was an MRI of Patrick Beverley‘s knee “which revealed no acute issues. He will likely be available for Game 2 Wednesday.”
12:38 pm: This is very good news for the Houston Rockets.
In overtime of the Trail Blazers win in Game 1 over the Rockets Sunday night, Patrick Beverley banged knees with LaMarcus Aldridge. It was Beverley’s right knee, the one where he had a torn meniscus that caused him to miss time earlier this season. He hobbled through the rest of the game but the team was concerned this was something serious.
But the MRI found no new damage, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Hopefully his knee is well enough not to impede his ability to skip down the court.
This is huge because the Raptors need Beverley to contain the dangerous Damian Lillard. As our own Dan Feldman noted, in 38 minutes with Beverley on the court, Lillard scored 18 points. In the eight minutes with Beverley on the bench, Lillard scored 13 points and was far more aggressive in attacking and creating offense. Jeremy Lin simply cannot defend him.
This is a tight series and an injury such as this would tip the balance of power.
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 0
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 75
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 57
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12