Did Gregg Popovich win Coach of the Year, or did Manu Ginobili win Sixth Man of the Year?

Apr 21, 2014, 6:54 PM EST

2013 NBA Finals - Practice and Media Availability 2013 NBA Finals - Practice and Media Availability

The NBA is doing a great job building suspense for its awards.

If we’re going to keep learning which team won an award without knowing which award, there’s plenty of speculating left. Few teams are in contention for only one award. The Spurs are definitely in the running for two – and now we know they won at least one.

Dave McMenamin of ESPN:

My guess is also Popovich, who earned my mythical Coach of the Year vote. With Jeff Hornacek, Steve Clifford, Tom Thibodeau and Popovich splitting support from voters who emphasize single-year impact, I think Popovich will claim nearly every vote from those who credit the best overall coach (with Thibodeau also getting some of those). That’s a roadmap to victory for the Spurs coach.

Manu Ginobili also received my and Kurt’s mythical Sixth Man of the Year votes, but I don’t expect him to win the award. Jamal Crawford will get votes from those who prioritize scoring, and Taj Gibson will impress voters who value all-around play (even though award-eligible Bulls teammate D.J. Augustin has more win shares). Ginobili gets caught in the middle, not drawing votes from either type of voter. I wouldn’t be shocked if he wins, but I’d say Gibson and Crawford are more likely. Markieff Morris, thanks to his campaigning and the Suns’ compelling narrative, might even have a better shot of winning.

1. ProBasketballPundit - Apr 21, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Popovich is an incredible coach. I’m even starting to think he’s better than Phil Jackson was, at least with the X’s and O’s of basketball. I can’t believe I hated the Spurs for so long; watching them play in Popovich’s system with their talent is a treat.

2. LilTmac2003 - Apr 21, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Coming for a Bulls fan, and I love Thibs, but Greg Pop is on a different level.

I would compare Thibs and Greg Pop about the fact they both get the most of their players.

Greg Pop I think has a secret lab and converts his players into wine. The Spurs just get better with age.

I want to age like the Spurs do.

• sonnysuave - Apr 22, 2014 at 4:07 AM

Pop is definitely a top coach in the league… but COY should go to Thibs. Plain & simple… Pop’s big 3 (Duncan, TP, Ginobili) has produced as they are expected to & carried the team to a great record, to NO ONE’s surprise. They’ve been together long enough & their team chemistry hasn’t suffered any, since they basically have the same players. Thibs, on the other hand… LOST his 2 BEST players (DRose, Deng) on the team, AND has had to incorporate completely new players (Augustin, Dunleavy, Snell whose a rookie) in his system & make them productive players. No one expected any production out of those players, as their precious coaches haven’t been able to do it (the rookie is the exception). There are NO franchise players on the team…not even 1. But to finish as strong as they have, with a team of ONLY ROLE players… this is why Thibs should be COY!

• sonnysuave - Apr 22, 2014 at 4:11 AM

*typo : previous (not precious)

3. dacapt704 - Apr 21, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Amazing how he doesn’t have more of these trophies on his mantle…no high draft picks (except Duncan), no tanking and his teams play the same no matter who is on the roster…that my friends, is coaching

• ProBasketballPundit - Apr 21, 2014 at 10:26 PM

It’s uncanny. If he sticks around after Duncan retires I’ll still expect 45-50 wins from the Spurs. And maybe even some Boris Diaw for MVP rumblings… haha i went too far.

4. duhwighthoward - Apr 22, 2014 at 9:29 AM

The Spurs had the best record in the league, so of course Popovich should win. Winning the most games is the criteria for the award.

If losing was the criteria, then you could argue that D’antoni or Woodson deserved it.

Anyways, it doesn’t matter because George Karl won it and got fired last year, Lionel Hollins took the Grizzlies to the Conference Finals and got fired, and Vinny Del Negro took the Clippers to their best ever regular season record and got fired.

If having the best season in franchise history for the Nuggets, Grizzlies and Clippers isn’t enough to keep your job, what is?

5. kavika6 - Apr 22, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Still looking forward to two more trophies in San Antonio this year, as well has some all-NBA honors.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches