Al Jefferson got two shots in his injured foot, left arena in walking boot, plans to play through it

Apr 21, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT

Charlotte Bobcats  vs Miami Heat Getty Images

Charlotte’s slim chances against the Miami Heat may have faded to nothing in the first quarter on Sunday.

That’s when, with just more than a couple minutes left in the first quarter, he suffered a strained plantar fascia of the left foot while moving into position to help defensively on a drive. When it happened Jefferson went straight to the bench and soon after to the locker room. The plantar fascia is the connective tissue that runs along the bottom of the foot, to strain it is to stretch it out.

The injury hurts. A lot.

So Jefferson got two injections in his foot to kill the pain just so he could play through it, reports Michael Wallace of ESPN. One right after it happened, one at the half. Then Jefferson was seen leaving the arena in a walking boot.

But he’s going to play through it, as best he can, Wallace reports.

“I really don’t know all the details, but it’s just something I’ve got to play through,” Jefferson said. “I don’t like needles, so it was very uncomfortable for me. I got one right when it happened. From a scale from 1-to-10, it [the pain] was probably a 6. Then I got one at halftime and it felt a lot better in the third quarter. We’re just hoping to keep it at that level going into Wednesday.”

Jefferson finished with 18 points and 10 rebounds, but he moved gingerly after the injury and was never quite the same.

We’ll see how he plays Wednesday in Game 2, but this is bad for Charlotte — they have no margin for error against the Heat. Charlotte needs to play a perfect game just to get a win in this series.

And they can’t do that if Jefferson’s not right. And it doesn’t sound like he’ll be right for a while.

1. saint1997 - Apr 21, 2014 at 9:15 AM

I’ve had this injury before, im a cricketer actually, and my word it was so painful. Felt like I was landing on a bed of needles and when you bowl pace in cricket you put 8x your body weight through your leg and so a game of constantly jumping and running – man, intense pain for big Al

2. paleihe - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I have Plantar fasciitis, and that sucker hurts like a mofo.

Did a 10k run last year, and I knew it was hurting throughout the run. It was definitely painful, but nothing too extreme. Once I crossed the finish line though, the adrenaline wore off, and I could barely walk. It felt like my left foot was broken. I had to sit down and rest for about 15 minutes, and then limp back to my hotel room.

I couldn’t imagine playing with that kind of pain, ridiculous.

• fanofthegame79 - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM

I don’t know…I give you credit for running a 10k with plantar fasciitis. I took a week off of jogging when I had it. Every little step hurts.

• paleihe - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM

It’s a very peculiar injury. It seems arbitrary when it decides to come back. For a few months before the run, didn’t have any issues with it, so I thought I’d be fine.

Well, it’s been over a year now and I haven’t done any runs since then, don’t know if I’ll do any more.

• adeedothatswho - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:35 PM

It comes back when you have arch support issues. It doesn’t go away, it merely lies dormant until you find a way to tweak it. In many people, it never even goes dormant. Best thing you can do is stretch, get a custom made orthodic footbed for your shoes, and never walk around barefoot. The less arch support you have, the better chance it bothers you again. I worked as a certified Pedorthist for years, 85% of my clients had plantar. Many of them were athletes. Shots and surgeries don’t work, and usually only make things worse.

• paleihe - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Really good point about the arch support.

I’ve always worn custom insoles, but sometimes they don’t help either. Usually now it only bothers me when/if I go on an extended run. I can usually do about three miles without any issues. But, if I go further than that, by the fourth mile my foot starts getting numb, and I know I’m in for some pain.

Most of my runs now are under a mile, and I’ve started walking much more.

• redbaronx - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:54 PM

@paleihe – I’ve never had it, but I know it ends careers. Mark Price, Robert Pack. If I really thought about it, I could probably come up with a few others.

• paleihe - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Really? It’d suck to lose your career over it.

Front what my podiatrist has told me, there really isn’t anything you can do outside of resting it. You can try to strengthen it by doing certain stretches, but that’s about it.

• redbaronx - Apr 21, 2014 at 6:37 PM

@paleihe – Yeah that’s what I heard. There’s no cure or solution for it right now in modern medicine. You can rest it and hope it improves at intervals, but that’s about it.

3. ProBasketballPundit - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:54 AM

So things couldn’t have gone worse for my ‘Cats. Any guy other than Big Al could have gone down and they’d find a way to stay competitive… but now this series has 4-game blowout sweep written all over it. Miami might even rest their starters in game 4. Sigh.

• dacapt704 - Apr 21, 2014 at 8:25 PM

^I second that…but I will be in the Cable Box for game 3! GO CATS!!

• ProBasketballPundit - Apr 21, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Nice! I can’t afford tickets for these games but I was at the season closing win over the Bulls. Go Charlotte Horncats Bobnets!

4. imakcds - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Al Jefferson doesn’t get enough recognition or appreciation for what he brings to the table. He deserves respect for his career, admiration for his work ethics.

• fanofthegame79 - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Totally agreed! I think the Bobcats’ “Big Al’s Paint” was great marketing for him! Too bad it didn’t work (Noah was named DPOY).

• casualcommenter - Apr 21, 2014 at 4:59 PM

The good news is that media members have been posting their All-NBA ballots, and I see a LOT of Al Jefferson for All-NBA 3rd Team Center.

If that pattern holds, he’ll be awarded All-NBA honors, which IMO is more prestigious than All-Star.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches