Craig Sager has acute leukemia

Apr 19, 2014, 1:50 AM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Miami Heat - Game Five Indiana Pacers v Miami Heat - Game Five

UPDATE 4-19-2014: Craig Sager released this statement through Turner Sports:

“My favorite time of year – city to city, round by round, 40 games in 40 nights.  A dramatic turn has matched me with acute myeloid leukemia.  From the sidelines to being sidelined, 40 veins and 40 electrolytes.  Too bad, I had some probing questions for Pop.”

4-17-2014: We may not see TNT’s brightly dressed Craig Sager on the NBA sidelines these playoffs, but we will be thinking of him.

Sager’s son tweeted this out Thursday (via Deadspin).

That timeline likely would mean little or no Sager on TNT’s NBA playoff broadcasts the next month.

Craig Sager II said that they just found out about the leukemia after being told his father was clear, and it was a gut check for the family. There was an outpouring of support for Sager and his family on twitter.

Our thoughts are with Sager and his family. I hope to be blinding by his suits on my television again soon.

1. sensiblevoice - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Get better Craig!

• bballhistorian - Apr 18, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Who disliked this? Just had to be that one troll…

2. irishdodger - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Prayers for a full recovery for Mr. Sager. God bless.

3. prareedoggin - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Hope he gets better soon

4. jerdogthompson - Apr 18, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Well wishes to Craig and his family. Tragic news for sure.

5. corky2141 - Apr 18, 2014 at 12:08 AM

To the greatest blazers in all of sport, get well soon and we will be missing your sideline reporting

• bigmeechy74 - Apr 18, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I would probably go with Clyde Drexler honestly. Nowadays I’d probably say damian lillard.

6. bigmeechy74 - Apr 18, 2014 at 12:13 AM

I hope he survives this and the doctors take good care of him and he gets better. Now I also hope this whole thread isn’t commenters shilling for thumbs up by saying “Thoughts and prayers for Craig Sager!!!!”

• davidly - Apr 18, 2014 at 4:34 AM

If thoughts and prayers are so irrational, what the hell is hope, smart guy?

• jimeejohnson - Apr 18, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I would think none of us regulars give a theet about thumbs.

• bigmeechy74 - Apr 18, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I was mainly commenting on the disingenuous act of saying that to get “thumbs ups.” But since you brought it up, I don’t think prayer does anything. In fact there have been numerous studies that conclude it does nothing. It’s like “alright everyone, let’s close our eyes and send our invisible brain waves to the creator of the universe so he will intervene. Although the more i think about it…. it would’ve been better if the creator prevented him from getting cancer in the first place. Oh well. Keep prayin!” Medical science and doctors save people. It sucks when a doctor performs life saving surgery on someone and then the family gives God all the credit smh. It’s 2014, let’s try to be rational.

• cmehustle - Apr 19, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Dam dude, atheist much?? Lol

• davidly - Apr 18, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Way to ignore the question and read into it whatever allusion you think you infer. I asked you why you find your hoping he survives so rational. It’s just as pointless. It’s an expression of desire that helps no-one but yourself and any other irrational person who feels a kinship with you for it. Kind of like thoughts and prayers. Keep hopin’ for being beyond all that, tho’, Big Meech.

• bigmeechy74 - Apr 18, 2014 at 7:32 PM

I didn’t know that’s what you meant. There is a difference. I can hope he is ok without thinking my hope actually does anything. I realize I don’t have special powers. I can hope I will win the lottery too. But I have no illusions. When people pray they actually think the creator of the universe will intervene on their behalf.

• davidly - Apr 18, 2014 at 7:37 PM

You didn’t know what I meant because you’re clearly having trouble understanding the concept of hope and prayer. When somebody prays — unless they think all of their theretofore prayers have come true — they certainly know that what they are doing is hoping they will come true. You, also, hope something will come true. The degree to which one thinks it is likely does not make it any less irrational.

Furthermore, you trolled this thread with your hope. That’d bring the score to hypocrisy 2 = Meech 0

• bigmeechy74 - Apr 18, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Wrong. I realize I have nothing to do with the outcome. I didn’t need to say the word “hope.” I could’ve said prefer and it would’ve meant the same thing. I prefer that the doctors help him and he gets through this. Does that work for you?

• davidly - Apr 18, 2014 at 8:40 PM

It’s certainly more accurate. The question is: Does ‘prefer’ work for you? Or would you prefer using ‘hope’? Think about it honestly and don’t answer me, because I couldn’t care less.

As to Sager: I hope he recovers. But that’s just because I’m an atheist who can’t give up hope. Or, at any rate, don’t see any rational reason to be evangelical about my atheism.

• mytthor - Apr 19, 2014 at 2:42 AM

So you’re genuinely concerned about Sager, everyone else is just fishing for thumbs up? Got it. Keep fighting the good fight.

• bigmeechy74 - Apr 19, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Thanks bro! I’m tryin!!! You wanna join me? WE can fight this fight together!!!

7. asimonetti88 - Apr 18, 2014 at 3:43 AM

If Craig can outlive fashion trends, he can outlive leukemia. Go out there and kick cancer’s ass!

8. tccoats - Apr 18, 2014 at 6:00 AM

let’s all hope for a speedy recovery!!!…how old is sager?…i know he was at home plate when aaron beat babe ruth’s home run record…40 years ago…mid 60’s?….doesnt look that old….

• tigersfandan - Apr 18, 2014 at 10:38 AM

According to Wikipedia, Sager is either 62 or 63.

• asimonetti88 - Apr 18, 2014 at 1:23 PM

He’s in his early 60s

9. jimeejohnson - Apr 18, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy peabrain. In fact, the whole pea brain/loser thing is over. I don’t have the time or inclination to get into a wee-wee online pu$$y fight with some loser. Peace.

• ProBasketballPundit - Apr 18, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Kendrick Perkins sucks.

10. RavenzGunnerz - Apr 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM

If he survives this he would be a great story to tell on TNT…

• 00maltliquor - Apr 19, 2014 at 2:37 AM

That fact that you put the word “If” just sent chills down my spine.

11. bhunter1995 - Apr 18, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Get well soon Craig, the NBA won’t be the same without those suits.

12. El Pollo Loco - Apr 18, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Get well soon!best dressed sideline reporter in sports

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches