Apr 17, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
Dante Exum is a prospect that intrigues a lot of fans, mostly because those fans haven’t seen him play. We’ve seen Andrew Wiggins disappear during games, we’ve seen Jabari Parker‘s defensive issues. Exum is the unknown and we can project what we want into that void.
Exum, a 6’6″ combo guard from Australia and played in his native land, is working out in Los Angeles under the watchful eye of Rob Pelinka (Kobe Bryant‘s agent). Exum has flashed real potential in settings like the Nike Hoop Summit and the FIBA U19 World Championships. There are some scouts very high on him, others who think he hasn’t shown he can live up to the hype.
Adidas is betting on him working out — he signed with the shoe company, the company announced.
“I’m really excited to join the adidas family,” Exum said in a released statement. “I’ve had the opportunity to play in adidas Nations in the past and I’ve always liked their shoes and gear. I look forward to what’s to come for me and adidas.”
The book on Exum is that he can create shots and has great athleticism, there’s a lot of potential, but his jump shot needs considerable work. He’s a bit of a project.
If that project pans out, adidas will have made a smart gamble. Either way it might have been smart to be in on the ground floor.
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 21
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 48
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 69
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 34
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8