Apr 17, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
Dante Exum is a prospect that intrigues a lot of fans, mostly because those fans haven’t seen him play. We’ve seen Andrew Wiggins disappear during games, we’ve seen Jabari Parker‘s defensive issues. Exum is the unknown and we can project what we want into that void.
Exum, a 6’6″ combo guard from Australia and played in his native land, is working out in Los Angeles under the watchful eye of Rob Pelinka (Kobe Bryant‘s agent). Exum has flashed real potential in settings like the Nike Hoop Summit and the FIBA U19 World Championships. There are some scouts very high on him, others who think he hasn’t shown he can live up to the hype.
Adidas is betting on him working out — he signed with the shoe company, the company announced.
“I’m really excited to join the adidas family,” Exum said in a released statement. “I’ve had the opportunity to play in adidas Nations in the past and I’ve always liked their shoes and gear. I look forward to what’s to come for me and adidas.”
The book on Exum is that he can create shots and has great athleticism, there’s a lot of potential, but his jump shot needs considerable work. He’s a bit of a project.
If that project pans out, adidas will have made a smart gamble. Either way it might have been smart to be in on the ground floor.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 11
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 45
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11