Apr 17, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
Dante Exum is a prospect that intrigues a lot of fans, mostly because those fans haven’t seen him play. We’ve seen Andrew Wiggins disappear during games, we’ve seen Jabari Parker‘s defensive issues. Exum is the unknown and we can project what we want into that void.
Exum, a 6’6″ combo guard from Australia and played in his native land, is working out in Los Angeles under the watchful eye of Rob Pelinka (Kobe Bryant‘s agent). Exum has flashed real potential in settings like the Nike Hoop Summit and the FIBA U19 World Championships. There are some scouts very high on him, others who think he hasn’t shown he can live up to the hype.
Adidas is betting on him working out — he signed with the shoe company, the company announced.
“I’m really excited to join the adidas family,” Exum said in a released statement. “I’ve had the opportunity to play in adidas Nations in the past and I’ve always liked their shoes and gear. I look forward to what’s to come for me and adidas.”
The book on Exum is that he can create shots and has great athleticism, there’s a lot of potential, but his jump shot needs considerable work. He’s a bit of a project.
If that project pans out, adidas will have made a smart gamble. Either way it might have been smart to be in on the ground floor.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 83
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20