Apr 17, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
The best test of player popularity may simply be “who do fans spend their money on?”
LeBron James and the Miami Heat.
For the second straight year LeBron is on top of the list of the NBA’s jersey sales list, and the Miami Heat are on top of the team merchandise sales list. This is based on sales at NBA.com and in the NBA’s New York storefront location.
LeBron on top is not a surprise, nor really is the rest of the Top 5: Kevin Durant, Kobe Bryant, Derrick Rose and Stephen Curry. The top three teams are the Heat, Lakers and Bulls. Again, no real surprises there.
Here is the list of the top 15 players and the top 10 teams.
1. LeBron James, Miami Heat
2. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder
3. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers
4. Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls
5. Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors
6. Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks
7. Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat
8. Chris Paul, Los Angeles Clippers
9. Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers
10. James Harden, Houston Rockets
11. Blake Griffin, Los Angeles Clippers
12. Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder
13. Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics
14. Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs
15. Paul George, Indiana Pacers
Nice to see Duncan and George make the list.
Here are the top 10 teams in merchandise sales.
1. Miami Heat
2. Los Angeles Lakers
3. Chicago Bulls
4. Oklahoma City Thunder
5. New York Knicks
6. Boston Celtics
7. Brooklyn Nets
8. Golden State Warriors
9. San Antonio Spurs
10. Los Angeles Clippers
Brooklyn’s gear continues to be popular, thanks to the Jay-Z approved look and colors. Interesting that the Spurs rank above the high flying Clippers in sales.
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 11
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20