Klay Thompson on Blake Griffin: ‘How can a guy that big and strong flop that much?’

Apr 17, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT

Blake Griffin, Klay Thompson Blake Griffin, Klay Thompson

Blake Griffin, it seems, is not well-liked around the league.

Opponents are always testing him, arguing with him, baiting him. I suspect there are a few reasons, but Warriors guard Klay Thompson illuminates a few.

Thompson, as transcribed by Arash Markazi of ESPNLosAngeles.com:

“He is a good guy off the court but he probably just … I mean … plays pretty physical and flops a little bit,” Thompson told The Wheelhouse on 95.7 The Game radio in San Francisco.

“He flairs his arm around so you know you might catch a random elbow or something that doesn’t you know rub off too well on guys,” Thompson said. “He’s kind of like a bull in a china shop, kind of out of control sometimes. And then you do just see him flop sometimes like how can a guy that big and strong flop that much.

“I can see how that gets under people’s skin and be frustrating to play against.”

Yes, Griffin flops, and he does so in maddening ways. There’s no question that grates.

But I also believe there’s a little bit of jealousy at play. Even by professional-athlete standards, Griffin is a physical marvel. He makes so many things look easy, he could dominate without resorting to cheap tactics. He’s also in plenty of commercials, raising his profile and the envy factor.

I also believe groupthink is occurring here. It’s become acceptable to dislike Griffin, so everybody looks for reasons to pile on and nobody gives him the benefit of the doubt.

Ultimately, nobody can change the perception of Griffin more than Griffin himself. I certainly wouldn’t argue his reputation is undeserved, though maybe just a little overblown. He’s not the NBA’s only flopper, and he’s probably not its worst.

If he’s is interested in proving Thompson wrong, Griffin can begin doing so in the upcoming Clipper-Warriors series. Should be fun whatever he decides. There’s certainly no love lost between these teams.

1. aboogy123456 - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:30 AM

I keep hearing the jealousy story with Griffin and it’s so overplayed. Opponents don’t hate Kevin Durant, Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Chris Paul like they do Griffin. He’s a great player to have on your team, and someone I respect, but the way he plays gets under people’s skin, and it has nothing to do with jealousy.

• aboogy123456 - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:48 AM

It’s not just the flopping, it’s the fact that he plays chippy and physical, but he flops when guys do it to him. He also has been known to cheap shot guys, although I haven’t seen him do it this season. It’s also annoying when he stares down players and acts like a cool guy after he makes a great play. These are things that would make anybody salty, guys don’t hate because of jealousy.

• reesesteel23 - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:04 AM

If you’re going to bring up his cheap shots, bring up the unnecessary ones he takes as well. Judge both sides, not just 1.

Jealousy is definitely a factor. Strength, mobility, speed, jumping out of the gym. He’s like the perfect 2k created player.

• reesesteel23 - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Also, these are grown men. A stare down? really? Come on man…If that’s not sensitive I don’t know what is. When people make great plays, they immediately run to the other side of the court? Who does that besides Tim Duncan?

• raidordie - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:19 AM

He’s been known to cheap shot? Wow dude gets fouled harder than anyone in the game and A LOT of them go uncalled. Haters gonna hate. I think klays parents need to up his allowance se he can take the hatorade and lakes name out his mouth

• bhunter1995 - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:07 PM

@Reeses – Jealousy has little to do with this, Vince Carter, Kobe, T Mac, STAT, C Webb, Shawn Kemp, Wilkins, Shaq and dozens of other guys dominated with athletic ability, a lot of those guys put a lot of other guys on posters in the same way BG does now, yet none of them had this kind of league wide hate. Amare, Kemp and Wilkins were almost identical to BG in style of play and had similar physical gifts yet they didn’t get this kind of hate.

BG is a hated for a lot of reasons, none of them are jealousy, he flops constantly and plays dirty on the court and has this nice guy/media friendly personality when interviewed meanwhile he is a dick on the court when it matters. Players hate on him for being fake and being a big baby.

• sportsfan18 - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:13 AM

There are many 10 cent brains in the league and I’m sure jealousy IS a factor for many players in the league… as they are NOT all the most mature individuals…

2. slate91 - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Reblogged this on The Daily Slate and commented:
    A little more fuel added coming in to this weekend’s playoff series. All about it!

3. xLith - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Because he plays with the master flopper of all floppers, Chris Paul…

• sportsfan18 - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Worst flop of ALL TIME was Chris Paul…

18 second You Tube video of Chris Paul flopping against the Kings two seasons ago…

4. 00maltliquor - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Shots fired!

Klay Thompson playing those Phil Jackson Jedi mind tricks for the upcoming series.

5. reesesteel23 - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Klay Thompson is a grown man and still gets allowance….get out of here

• doctordunkenstein - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:15 AM

LOL. “DAD CAN I GET SOME MONEY TO GO WATCH A MOVIE WITH STEPH?”

• money2long - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:26 PM

sure laugh. but let’s see which players will be comfortable during the upcoming inevitable lockout .

• delyce22 - Apr 19, 2014 at 9:55 AM

I see nothing wrong with Klay Thompson’s parents giving him an allowance and helping him manage his money. If more overpaid athletes had someone who really had their best interest in mind to help them manage their money maybe so many of them would not be broke two to three years after the checks stop flowing. I read an article about how Klay felt getting an allowance from his parents and he said in the article at first he did not like it but now he thanks his parents all the time for doing it because he sees how so many NBA players just blow money on frivolous materialistic things. I also like what Michael Carter-Williams of the 76ers has done. He put all his NBA checks in a trust he cannot touch for three years and lives off his endorsements. Sounds like a pretty wise financial decision to me.

• sportsfan18 - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Well, he should have money left yrs and yrs from now…

Wish more players did this.

Michael Carter Williams has not spent one cent of his NBA game checks yet and won’t for a few more yrs.

He’s living off of endorsements. His NBA paychecks are being invested and he can’t touch it for at least three yrs…

I’m sure these guys get teased a lot by their fellow players… but I don’t think they’ll tell those who are broke a few yrs after playing “I told you so” either… because they will be sitting on a beach in the Bahamas while those that teased them will be trying to feed their families…

• asimonetti88 - Apr 17, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Yep!

It’s not an allowance, it’s called a budget. It’s what responsible grown up adults do.

• reesesteel23 - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:29 PM

If you don’t think its allowance, then you haven’t read the Klay Thompson article where it clearly shows that he gets an allowance from his Dad. I’m not talking about MCW. This isn’t about him.

• bigmeechy74 - Apr 17, 2014 at 9:18 PM

families? You mean their multiple stray baby mamas and kids strewn out across the map?

• delyce22 - Apr 19, 2014 at 10:04 AM

reesesteel23: You can call it whatever you want, an allowance or a budget, but I call it a good and loving dad who does not want to see his son end up broke after his playing days are over. Remember a rose by any other name is still a rose!

6. k3nn3k - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Dumb move Klay Thompson…dumb move

7. steelerfanforlife - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Did you steal this entire article from the conversation that Bill Simmons and Jalen Rose had yesterday?

• jpstyles314 - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:49 PM

That’s the first thing I thought about when reading this article.

• brookwell2013 - Apr 17, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Spot on Steelerfan!!!! Cheesh! With no atribution either! Almost verbatim.

8. mat9844 - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Just how many times has Blake been fined for flopping this year?? Sounds like a whole lotta whining and envy to me.

9. chunkala - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:37 AM

I agree that Griffin > Thompson but for such a physical marvel, Griffin is a pretty bad shooter.

• tved12 - Apr 17, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Based on what statistics? He shoots 36% from mid range. League average is 38%.

10. cantonbound13 - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:37 AM

• jimeejohnson - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:05 PM

As always, the pathetic pea brain CantonLoser stalks his boyfriend, LeBron. LeBron doesn’t like little white girls like you.

• cantonbound13 - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:35 PM

You are the expert in stalking. Seconds after I post something you reply.

11. 1historian - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I’ve said this before – guys get tired of being the foil for his poster dunks – someday, someday.

12. pharohislife - Apr 17, 2014 at 12:45 PM

For the reasons Klay Thompson stated, that’s why Demarcus Cousins tried to fight him after a game last year. The first year Blake was In the league I never saw him resort to flopping, but once they traded for the man on the All-NBAFlopTeam Chris Paul that next year Blake clearly became influenced and started flopping all over the place.

13. unxpexted1 - Apr 17, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Although off topic this reminds me of last years playoffs when Paul George was be guarded by Lebron and Lebron flopped. He turns around and the camera catches him clear as day say “Man stop floppin, Floppin @$$, n*gg@”.

I swear that was the funniest moment of the playoffs.

• jimeejohnson - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Almost as funny as the Pacers losing.

• guyaneserj - Apr 18, 2014 at 10:35 AM

That wasn’t against LBJ, was against Mario Chalmers

14. ufools - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:28 PM

This from some fool that has his hair drawn on his head with a marker and receives an allowance.

You can’t even carry Blake’s jock-strap, kid.

15. kb2408 - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Ok, I’m not even a Clips fan but the Blake bashing has to end!! I actually love how he plays. He is the biggest freak in the NBA not named LeBron or KD (yeah, KD is a freak, he’s darn near 7ft with the skills of a 6ft dude!). This season he made himself into a legit MVP candidate. He is no longer just an incredible dunking machine.

16. noleitup - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Klay should’t have said that. Blake is gonna turn him into the latest meme this weekend

17. joeksnuffy - Apr 17, 2014 at 2:48 PM

I don’t understand all the people piling on Klay. he is just speaking the truth. What he’s saying is fact. And yes, there are other floppers in the league. But, the top two are on the same team: Griffin and Chris Paul. They are both very physical. yet, if you breath on them, they flail their arms or just fall down. I say this as a fan of Griffin and Paul. They are phenomenally talented players. The sad thing is that it works. They get calls. I’m sure they will be up to their same shananigins against the warriors. Let’s see if the referees fall for it. I’m just hoping this kind of thing won’t affect the outcome of the games/series.

• delyce22 - Apr 19, 2014 at 10:05 AM

You can throw in Nick Young of the Lakers as the 3rd biggest flopper in the league.

18. kingokra - Apr 17, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Maybe Bloke Glimmer and Chippy Paul are just huge soccer fans and are trying to emulate their heroes. Whining and flopping are so unbecoming. The sad part is that, as someone said above, they are so talented they should have to resort to it. Klay is not saying anything that isn’t true. Sometimes the truth hurts. Warriors in 7.

• paleihe - Apr 17, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Anytime you change their names, it makes you seem like a petulant child.

• eugenesaxe1 - Apr 17, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Not if it’s done well. In this case, it isn’t.

19. andreboy1 - Apr 17, 2014 at 3:51 PM

The thing that pisses me off the most when watching him is his stare downs. He’ll dunk the ball and then find the closest opponent (even if they weren’t in on the play) and give them this blank stare trying to big-boy them. He’s done this since his rookie year.

Have you ever seen the greatest PF of all time, Tim Duncan, do that?

Yeah

• urodaddy07 - Apr 17, 2014 at 5:36 PM

What’s wrong with a stare down, I like that stuff. Makes people get upset, makes games more fun. This is a fight boy, it ain’t a pick up game with your buds. Man up! If you can’t handle a stare down in the NBA, you don’t belong in the league. Anyway, refs call techs for stuff like that, like they do for most everything these days, so I’m sure you’re overblowing it.

• joeksnuffy - Apr 17, 2014 at 5:59 PM

I guess urodaddy07 must be a hockey fan. You like the fighting and the sideshows. I personally like to see basketball. I’m all for intensity. But, these gimmicks and tricks with the flopping and the staredowns are not basketball. It turns it into a circus. May the best basketball team win, not the best trash talkers or stare downers or floppers.

• urodaddy07 - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Let me clarify, I do not mean I condone fighting on the court, but in the pro game it’s come down to who wants it more, and I like when guys show that they want it, I like when guys try to intimidate their opponents within the rules of the game, When you’re challenged you either cower or you rise to the challenge. Nothing I hate more than seeing a scuffle on the court. You let your play do the talking. Now if BG wants to try to get into another guys head by dunking on them and then staring them down, I love that. The guy who gets dunked on needs to decide if he’s gonna let that stop him from playing tough D on BG. If it does, then BG has won that match up even before it’s begun. And for the record I hate hockey for the fact that they rely on the fighting in games to maintain viewership. It not a part of the game and should be eliminated from the sport.

20. urodaddy07 - Apr 17, 2014 at 5:30 PM

In basketball terms BG is a bad baaaad man. Love his game, love that he’s developed his midrange jumper, he’s handling the ball well for a big guy, especially in the fast break offence. He’s put in the work, you can tell………but if I’m to be truthful, he foes flop and I hate that aspect of his game. I don’t mind if when you’re fouled you exaggerate a bit to make it obvious that you were indeed fouled, but to pretend like there is contact when there’s none rubs me the wrong way. BG and LBJ should have been warned and fined long ago for this.

• Gary - Apr 25, 2014 at 12:33 PM

You don’t see every angle that plays happen from and the guy is getting hit. People started this whole labeling players as floppers think and now everything Blake, or certain players do is called a flop. It’s Jr. High stuff really.

21. jerdogthompson - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Let me see, we got a 6′-5″ or so 180lb soaking wet, sniveling, still gets allowance, painted on hair, weakling calling out the premiere forward in the league. Yeah I can see how this will end in his favor for sure.

My advice to you kid, go join your daddy in lala land and just refrain from making any further comments that will CERTAINLY get you punished from the word go.

#InDocwetrust

22. shogun187 - Apr 18, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Star players get star calls just ask Jordan, Lebron and Kobe especially Kobe! Those guys all won championships and got a bunch of star calls during ton of playoff games. Klay is just trying to start mind games! He knows they have no shot of winning this series. Their only chance was for Cheap Shot Artist Andrew Bogus to try to start a fight and get BG kicked out of the game! BG take the most beating in games of any player in the NBA since Shaq. So for every “Flop” you see him take just know he’s been assaulted at least 4 more times that. There ‘s always going to be Player Haters! You don’t think players hate Lebron? Players are constantly taking cheap shots at him, crying about his FLOPPING and complaining about him bitching to the Refs.! The KG’s Celtics wanted to kill him. Everyone hates Kobe even his own teammates. Blake by all account even Klay’s own admission is a good guy. People are jealous of his success and they’re tired of being put on posters. If you’ve watched any of Blake’s commercials than you know he’s a great actor. So like any great thespian he know how to sell it! The warriors know they ‘re going to murdered in this series and they’re just whinnying about it!

• Gary - Apr 25, 2014 at 12:26 PM

I fully agree. The hate for Griffin comes 1stly from the bad posterizations, but now he’s backing up his game with low post moves and mid range shots. No one wants to be the guy that says “coach, there’s nothing I can do to stop him besides a cheap shot”, but basically that’s what the league has come to.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches