Apr 17, 2014, 5:57 PM EST
Two swingmen likely taken in the first round will be entering the NBA Draft.
Kentucky’s James Young made it official, declaring through the university he is going to enter the draft.
Duke’s Rodney Hood will join him in this draft class, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Young has good NBA size, 6’7” with a 6’11” wingspan, and he is extremely athletic. Those kind of things get you drafted and why he is considered a pick in the teens by some. But PBT’s draft expert, Ed Isaacson of NBADraftBlog.com and Rotoworld, sees a couple red flags. While he shot 34 percent from three this season and can be a good long-range shooter he is not consistent right now, Isaacson said.
“He needs serious work on ball handling and defense,” Isaacson added.
Hood was expected to go pro, Mike Krzyzewski even hinted at it after Duke was eliminated from the tournament.
Hood, who spent just one year at Duke after transferring from Mississippi State, is 6’8” and has the athleticism and movements of an NBA wing. He also can shoot the rock — 42 percent from three with a sweet looking stroke — who can put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. Those things will get him a look by NBA teams. His defense was in question, but Isaacson said his defense has improved this season.
“He needs to watch a tendency to force things or on flip side, disappear for long stretches,” Isaacson said. “I would expect him to be picked 12-18.”
DraftExpress has Young going 15 and Hood 22. Mocks shift some after the lottery. The middle of the draft becomes pretty fluid after the combine and workouts give teams ideas of whom they really want in those slots.
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 8
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 44
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 9
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 17
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 29
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 8
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 5