Greg Monroe: Pistons lacked locker-room chemistry this season

Apr 17, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT

Greg Monroe, Serge Ibaka Greg Monroe, Serge Ibaka

Greg Monroe has played for four coaches in four years. The man who drafted him, Joe Dumars, has been pushed out as general manager. In the Pistons’ best season with Monroe, they went 25-41.

Yet, through all the chaos, Monroe – a pending restricted free agent – has developed into a steady 15-9 player.

But that doesn’t mean he’s ignored the problems surrounding him.

David Mayo of MLive:

Monroe was asked if the Pistons had good locker-room chemistry this season, which ended Wednesday with a 112-111 loss at Oklahoma City.

“Honestly, I would say no,” he answered.

Pressed for what the problem was, Monroe retreated.

“I will answer the question,” he said, “but I wouldn’t go further than that.”

“I don’t really like to say things that are controversial, even though sometimes it may be needed,” he said.  “But I don’t think it’s beneficial.  I believe, as a team, we should be able to talk.  But in this platform, I don’t think some stuff should be said, even though some people always choose to do it.”

Monroe, via Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News:

“I’ve censored myself, just because of the whole, so much speculation and so much stuff going on,” Monroe said. “I just tried to make sure I was as productive as possible. That I kept a straight head and kept it as positive as possible.”

Earlier this season, Brandon Jennings said the Pistons don’t hold themselves accountable and implied Josh Smith didn’t speak up enough. Those two, who possess reputations for being moody, quite likely factor into the locker-room disharmony.

But whatever problems existed off the court, the Pistons had enough on-the-court issues to last a lifetime (not that the two are unrelated). Among teams actually vying for the playoffs this season, only the Lakers finished worse. Detroit couldn’t even catch the Knicks or Cavaliers.

The Pistons’ heavily used big-three lineup – featuring Smith, Monroe and Andre Drummond – never clicked. Jennings shot terribly, as did Smith. Few players showed sustained interest in defending.

Winning builds chemistry, and vice versa. The Pistons had neither, snowballing the negative effects of lacking both.

The Pistons have plenty of avenues to get better next season. Stagger the minutes of the bigs. Hire a new coach. Spend about $10 million in available cap room and then re-sign Monroe, who deserves a larger offensive role at the expense of Smith.

On-court play could improve quickly, and if it does, I suspect the locker-room chemistry will, too.

Latest Posts
  1. Anthony Davis excited to get running in Alvin Gentry’s offense

Jul 29, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v New Orleans Pelicans - Game Four Getty Images

The Pelicans were one of the slowest paced teams in the NBA last season, that’s about to change.

2. Chris Kaman has new reality show, to air on Mark Cuban’s network

Jul 29, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Los Angeles Lakers Philadelphia 76ers v Los Angeles Lakers

“I think someone who would watch this would think there is something wrong with me and something wrong with my friends.” — Chris Kaman

3. Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves

Jul 29, 2015, 8:47 PM EDT

Shabazz Napier, Andre Miller Shabazz Napier, Andre Miller

Andrew Wiggins and Karl-Anthony Towns are about to be finishing alley-oops from the best lob passer in the game.

4. Warriors promote Luke Walton to lead assistant coach

Jul 29, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Kerr says Luke Walton is a future head coach in the NBA.

5. Raptors’ coach Dwane Casey says expect more small ball from the Raptors this year

Jul 29, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Washington Wizards - Game Four Getty Images

Toronto has shifted the roster to be more defensive, and be able to go smaller.

6. Raptors hire Jerry Stackhouse as assistant coach

Jul 29, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT

Stackhouse drives against Carter Getty Images

Rex Kalamian and Andy Greer also join Dwane Casey’s staff

7. Jerry Colangelo: I think LeBron James wants to be part of Team USA

Jul 29, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwmxmdgxmdzhnmq1mwfkn2ewnwi0m2zkowvjzwnhmdmz AP

Cavaliers star has avoided making a public decision

8. Brazil’s automatic basketball bid for 2016 Olympics in jeopardy over money

Jul 29, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT

Tiago Splitter, Rudy Fernandez, Leandrinho Barbosa AP

If Brazil qualifies through FIBA Americas Championship, that could close door for another North/South American team from qualifying

9. Phil Jackson on Kobe Bryant: ‘I could feel his hatred’

Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Charlotte Bobcats Getty Images

Lakers were in a bad place when Jackson first stepped away

10. LeBron James Twitter Q&A: NFL career, Kobe Bryant’s best play, Ronda Rousey and more

Jul 29, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers

Cavaliers star also addresses his favorites – including place to play, rapper, and teammates

11. Hornets sign Elliot Williams as 16th player

Jul 29, 2015, 9:26 AM EDT

Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

He’ll likely compete with Aaron Harrison to make regular-season roster

12. Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market

Jul 29, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Four Getty Images

Cleveland’s Tristan Thompson and J.R. Smith head the list.

13. Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments

Jul 29, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT

Celebrities At Game 3 Of The Lakers/Suns Getty Images

Cuban said presidential candidate is ‘probably the best thing to happen to politics in a long, long time’

Top 10 NBA Player Searches