Apr 17, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Last year, Mike Woodson finished third – and ahead of Gregg Popovich! – in Coach of the Year voting.
This year, Woodson is probably getting fired.
Did Woodson become a worse coach? Doubtful, though it’s quite possible his ability relative to the rest of the league has slipped. First-year coaches Jeff Hornacek and Steve Clifford, to name a couple, are excellent. (Though outgoing coaches like George Karl and Lionel Hollins weren’t too shabby themselves.)
More likely, Woodson’s fall has more to do with how he reached his players. Personalities evolve, and how they fit together within a team can change drastically. Trust is not permanent.
Amar’e Stoudemire, via Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPNNewYork.com:
“I mean, again, certain strategies were placed upon us with Coach Woodson. There were times when we didn’t quite buy into it and as a result of that, we lost games.”
This might seal Woodson’s fate with the Knicks – though I’d guess every other sign pointing that direction already makes his departure a done deal – but it could help him land a head-coaching position elsewhere.
Yes, part of Woodson’s job is to convince his players to follow a unified strategy, but maybe that was just too difficult with this mercurial group. Perhaps, Woodson’s tactics could again be effective in a new environment.
Coaching is so difficult to assess, because much of the heavy lifting occurs behind the scenes, and it’s difficult to separate what players do for themselves and what coaches do for them.
But if I were Woodson, that – the Knicks not buying in – is the story I’d be selling potential employers.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61