Apr 16, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
In case you needed yet another reminder of just how prescient the guys in Las Vegas are when it comes to setting lines on sporting events, we bring you the tale of some wagers made as far back as October remaining undecided heading into the final night of the NBA’s regular season.
Sports books set a predicted total number of games they believe each team will win before the season starts, with the goal being to set a line that gets as close to an equal amount of action on both sides of that number.
And almost six months later, after all of the injuries, trades and free agent signings, that number is still in play for four of the league’s teams with just a single game left on the schedule.
While there’s little intrigue left with the Suns or Knicks, there will be plenty of bettors sweating out season-win total wagers on Wednesday night. Depending on the number bet, deciding games for season-win totals on the Houston Rockets, Minnesota Timberwolves, Orlando Magic, and Utah Jazz are in play.
— The Timberwolves (40-41) host the Jazz (24-57). The winner will go OVER their season win total. The loser stays UNDER, based on the LVH’s mid-October numbers.
— The Magic (23-58) host Indiana, needing a win over the motivation-less Pacers to go over their season-win total of 23.5.
— The Rockets (54-27) are at the New Orleans Pelicans and need a win to forge a push on their 55 season-win projection. Unfortunately for those who bet OVER, Houston is locked into the West’s No. 4 seed, as it owns the tiebreaker over the fifth-seeded Trail Blazers, and will likely rest some players.
The numbers used for this exercise were the ones posted by the Las Vegas Hilton before the season began, and it’s fairly remarkable that they nailed so many of them essentially exactly.
Then again, we know these guys are smart. After all, it’s not their money being used to build all of those spectacular hotels and casinos in the middle of the desert — it’s yours.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 27
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 17
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15