Apr 16, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
In case you needed yet another reminder of just how prescient the guys in Las Vegas are when it comes to setting lines on sporting events, we bring you the tale of some wagers made as far back as October remaining undecided heading into the final night of the NBA’s regular season.
Sports books set a predicted total number of games they believe each team will win before the season starts, with the goal being to set a line that gets as close to an equal amount of action on both sides of that number.
And almost six months later, after all of the injuries, trades and free agent signings, that number is still in play for four of the league’s teams with just a single game left on the schedule.
While there’s little intrigue left with the Suns or Knicks, there will be plenty of bettors sweating out season-win total wagers on Wednesday night. Depending on the number bet, deciding games for season-win totals on the Houston Rockets, Minnesota Timberwolves, Orlando Magic, and Utah Jazz are in play.
— The Timberwolves (40-41) host the Jazz (24-57). The winner will go OVER their season win total. The loser stays UNDER, based on the LVH’s mid-October numbers.
— The Magic (23-58) host Indiana, needing a win over the motivation-less Pacers to go over their season-win total of 23.5.
— The Rockets (54-27) are at the New Orleans Pelicans and need a win to forge a push on their 55 season-win projection. Unfortunately for those who bet OVER, Houston is locked into the West’s No. 4 seed, as it owns the tiebreaker over the fifth-seeded Trail Blazers, and will likely rest some players.
The numbers used for this exercise were the ones posted by the Las Vegas Hilton before the season began, and it’s fairly remarkable that they nailed so many of them essentially exactly.
Then again, we know these guys are smart. After all, it’s not their money being used to build all of those spectacular hotels and casinos in the middle of the desert — it’s yours.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 19
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 27
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 51
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18