Apr 16, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
In case you needed yet another reminder of just how prescient the guys in Las Vegas are when it comes to setting lines on sporting events, we bring you the tale of some wagers made as far back as October remaining undecided heading into the final night of the NBA’s regular season.
Sports books set a predicted total number of games they believe each team will win before the season starts, with the goal being to set a line that gets as close to an equal amount of action on both sides of that number.
And almost six months later, after all of the injuries, trades and free agent signings, that number is still in play for four of the league’s teams with just a single game left on the schedule.
While there’s little intrigue left with the Suns or Knicks, there will be plenty of bettors sweating out season-win total wagers on Wednesday night. Depending on the number bet, deciding games for season-win totals on the Houston Rockets, Minnesota Timberwolves, Orlando Magic, and Utah Jazz are in play.
– The Timberwolves (40-41) host the Jazz (24-57). The winner will go OVER their season win total. The loser stays UNDER, based on the LVH’s mid-October numbers.
– The Magic (23-58) host Indiana, needing a win over the motivation-less Pacers to go over their season-win total of 23.5.
– The Rockets (54-27) are at the New Orleans Pelicans and need a win to forge a push on their 55 season-win projection. Unfortunately for those who bet OVER, Houston is locked into the West’s No. 4 seed, as it owns the tiebreaker over the fifth-seeded Trail Blazers, and will likely rest some players.
The numbers used for this exercise were the ones posted by the Las Vegas Hilton before the season began, and it’s fairly remarkable that they nailed so many of them essentially exactly.
Then again, we know these guys are smart. After all, it’s not their money being used to build all of those spectacular hotels and casinos in the middle of the desert — it’s yours.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 15
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13