Apr 16, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
In case you needed yet another reminder of just how prescient the guys in Las Vegas are when it comes to setting lines on sporting events, we bring you the tale of some wagers made as far back as October remaining undecided heading into the final night of the NBA’s regular season.
Sports books set a predicted total number of games they believe each team will win before the season starts, with the goal being to set a line that gets as close to an equal amount of action on both sides of that number.
And almost six months later, after all of the injuries, trades and free agent signings, that number is still in play for four of the league’s teams with just a single game left on the schedule.
While there’s little intrigue left with the Suns or Knicks, there will be plenty of bettors sweating out season-win total wagers on Wednesday night. Depending on the number bet, deciding games for season-win totals on the Houston Rockets, Minnesota Timberwolves, Orlando Magic, and Utah Jazz are in play.
— The Timberwolves (40-41) host the Jazz (24-57). The winner will go OVER their season win total. The loser stays UNDER, based on the LVH’s mid-October numbers.
— The Magic (23-58) host Indiana, needing a win over the motivation-less Pacers to go over their season-win total of 23.5.
— The Rockets (54-27) are at the New Orleans Pelicans and need a win to forge a push on their 55 season-win projection. Unfortunately for those who bet OVER, Houston is locked into the West’s No. 4 seed, as it owns the tiebreaker over the fifth-seeded Trail Blazers, and will likely rest some players.
The numbers used for this exercise were the ones posted by the Las Vegas Hilton before the season began, and it’s fairly remarkable that they nailed so many of them essentially exactly.
Then again, we know these guys are smart. After all, it’s not their money being used to build all of those spectacular hotels and casinos in the middle of the desert — it’s yours.
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 1
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 5
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 23
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 7
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 42