Apr 16, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT
Would you want to stick around for the end of this disaster?
This Lakers team has racked up more losses (55) than any team in franchise history and Kobe Bryant wants nothing to do with it — he has not been around the team much as this season wore on, as the losses piled up, as he recovered from a fractured knee.
Now as the Lakers prepare to take on the Spurs in their final game Kobe Bryant isn’t even on the continent — he’s in France on vacation, reports the Los Angeles Times.
Bryant went to France with family members either Tuesday or Wednesday, the Los Angeles Times has learned. The Lakers conclude their season Wednesday night against the San Antonio Spurs….
Bryant has been in a surly mood since the team’s fortunes started sagging, muttering under his breath at last month’s team photo that he doesn’t like associating with a team so many games under .500.
Asked why he made the trip in his condition, Gasol shrugged and said: “Be a good teammate, be a good professional.” I asked him if he considered not coming, and Gasol said he was medically cleared by the doctor to fly, so he did. He also mentioned he was one of the team captains and wanted to support the guys.
Who is showing more leadership here?
Kobe’s “leadership through intimidation” tactics don’t work with everyone (he was always more effective with Derek Fisher’s good cop to his bad cop, Steve Nash couldn’t really fill that locker room role). This is Kobe’s team still — the two-year, $48.5 million extension he got that keeps him the highest paid player in the league ensures that — but it hasn’t been the second half of this year.
The Lakers are going to be very different next season. Different coach most likely. Certainly roster changes (though maybe not the major ones Kobe is hoping for, it’s a tough market right now).
Will they be better? We’ll see. Just having Bryant back for the majority of games would help considerably, but it’s going to take more than just that.
Which is to say Kobe may not be happy at the end of next season either, but hopefully he’s healthy and not sitting in Bordeaux. Or wherever.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 16
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 18
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4