Apr 16, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
With Joe Dumars out as general manager, the Pistons need a replacement.
Pistons owner Tom Gores promised a long search, and given his history with coaching changes, I bet he’ll deliver. So, I suspect many names will be reported as candidates, but here are the first two.
Marc Stein of ESPN:
Pistons vowing broad search for Joe Dumars' successor, but two names already in circulation to be on their list: Scott Perry and Grant Hill—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) April 16, 2014
Perry worked 10 seasons for the Pistons, including one season overlapping with Gores’ reign, before becoming the Magic’s assistant general manager prior to last season. He rose through the ranks in Detroit beginning in 2000, leaving for one year to work for Sam Presti in Seattle, then returning to Detroit. That means he had a hand in the Pistons’ rise and fall – much like the ousted Dumars.
But perhaps Perry could shore up the Pistons’ long-standing coaching deficiencies. He has much more experience in the field than Dumars, serving as Eastern Kentucky’s head coach and working as an assistant at Michigan, Cal and Detroit Mercy.
Hill, on the other hand, has no management or coaching experience. Heck, he was still playing in the NBA last season. Since, he’s worked in television. Unless Gores is willing to commit to letting Hill learn on the job, there would assuredly be costly growing pains.
Perry and Hill are both bright and widely considered to have bright futures. The major difference is Perry has relevant experience to back up his readiness.
If Hill, the former Pistons player who’d be the much splashier hire, wants to become a general manager, he could probably put himself in position by landing a less front-office job and learning the ropes – or finding an owner who values the splashy hire.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29