Apr 16, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
With Joe Dumars out as general manager, the Pistons need a replacement.
Pistons owner Tom Gores promised a long search, and given his history with coaching changes, I bet he’ll deliver. So, I suspect many names will be reported as candidates, but here are the first two.
Marc Stein of ESPN:
Perry worked 10 seasons for the Pistons, including one season overlapping with Gores’ reign, before becoming the Magic’s assistant general manager prior to last season. He rose through the ranks in Detroit beginning in 2000, leaving for one year to work for Sam Presti in Seattle, then returning to Detroit. That means he had a hand in the Pistons’ rise and fall – much like the ousted Dumars.
But perhaps Perry could shore up the Pistons’ long-standing coaching deficiencies. He has much more experience in the field than Dumars, serving as Eastern Kentucky’s head coach and working as an assistant at Michigan, Cal and Detroit Mercy.
Hill, on the other hand, has no management or coaching experience. Heck, he was still playing in the NBA last season. Since, he’s worked in television. Unless Gores is willing to commit to letting Hill learn on the job, there would assuredly be costly growing pains.
Perry and Hill are both bright and widely considered to have bright futures. The major difference is Perry has relevant experience to back up his readiness.
If Hill, the former Pistons player who’d be the much splashier hire, wants to become a general manager, he could probably put himself in position by landing a less front-office job and learning the ropes – or finding an owner who values the splashy hire.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 0
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 5
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 11
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 13
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 17
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 46