Apr 16, 2014, 12:50 PM EST
With Joe Dumars out as general manager, the Pistons need a replacement.
Pistons owner Tom Gores promised a long search, and given his history with coaching changes, I bet he’ll deliver. So, I suspect many names will be reported as candidates, but here are the first two.
Marc Stein of ESPN:
Perry worked 10 seasons for the Pistons, including one season overlapping with Gores’ reign, before becoming the Magic’s assistant general manager prior to last season. He rose through the ranks in Detroit beginning in 2000, leaving for one year to work for Sam Presti in Seattle, then returning to Detroit. That means he had a hand in the Pistons’ rise and fall – much like the ousted Dumars.
But perhaps Perry could shore up the Pistons’ long-standing coaching deficiencies. He has much more experience in the field than Dumars, serving as Eastern Kentucky’s head coach and working as an assistant at Michigan, Cal and Detroit Mercy.
Hill, on the other hand, has no management or coaching experience. Heck, he was still playing in the NBA last season. Since, he’s worked in television. Unless Gores is willing to commit to letting Hill learn on the job, there would assuredly be costly growing pains.
Perry and Hill are both bright and widely considered to have bright futures. The major difference is Perry has relevant experience to back up his readiness.
If Hill, the former Pistons player who’d be the much splashier hire, wants to become a general manager, he could probably put himself in position by landing a less front-office job and learning the ropes – or finding an owner who values the splashy hire.
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 2
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 13
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41