Blake Griffin would vote yes on NBA allowing medical marijuana use

Apr 16, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT

Blake Griffin AP

Just get your “they’re all doing it anyway” joke/comment out of your system right here, first thing. Done? Good. Let’s move on.

As more and more states move to approve marijuana use — many states allow medical use but the trend is moving toward complete legalization — professional sports leagues are left in an uncomfortable spot between the law and perception.

Telling players to go ahead and use it wouldn’t help the NBA’s image with the older, whiter crowd that spends big money (or gets their corporation to spend money) on luxury boxes or expensive seats close to the court, let alone with corporate sponsors. On the flip side, you can make an argument it medically could help players with pain and nerve issues (there is a medical debate on exactly what pain it helps, I’m not stepping into that quagmire here). If a player in a state where medical marijuana is legal gets a prescription, should the league step in and tell him no?

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has said he would consider allowing use of medical marijuana if it is shown to help with concussions and CTE.

Blake Griffin, in an interview with Rolling Stone, says he would favor the league opening the medical marijuana door and stepping on through.

“It doesn’t really affect me, but so many guys would probably benefit from it and not take as many painkillers, which have worse long-term effects. So I would vote yes. I just think it makes sense.”

You should go read the entire interview where Griffin talks about his hair color, manscaping, farting during games, creationism and a host of other topics. There are some interesting questions in there. (By the way, you will not see Griffin in the Clippers’ season finale Wednesday due to his 16th technical of the season. He needs to learn to relax when calls don’t go his way and just go with the flow… you know what would help with that? Exactly.)

The nation’s attitudes on marijuana are shifting toward more access and legalization (a 2013 Pew study found the majority of Americans supported full legalization), particularly among younger generations.

The tide is changing. For image reasons this is not an issue the NBA wants to be out in front on, but it is one they are going to have to deal with differently over the next decade and beyond. It’s just more a question of when and how than if.

1. davidly - Apr 16, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Just watch old footage of Phil Jackson on the bench midseason circa 1992. Zen Master, indeed.

• fanofthegame79 - Apr 16, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Nice! Didn’t seem to hurt his ability to get the job done!

• davidly - Apr 16, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Yeah. Quite the opposite: Maybe it’s the reason for his patented “letting them play” through rough stretches in games instead of calling time right away. Either it kept him from panicking, or he just forgot.

• fanofthegame79 - Apr 16, 2014 at 6:31 PM

David, there have been other, tenured coaches that do not call timeouts right away during rough stretches. Popovich does the same thing. I would say that’s a coaching prerogative rather than potentially being high.

• davidly - Apr 16, 2014 at 6:40 PM

My reply was a joke, especially the “or”. Anyway, the mindset that would more likely let the team figure it out on the floor is one more prone to partaking of the herb as much as the other way around — though neither is a necessity. Still, his demeanor in some of those old games is a tell. I swear I could smell it through the boobtube during a couple of the WGN broadcasts.

• fanofthegame79 - Apr 16, 2014 at 7:04 PM

My apologies! Sometimes it’s hard to tell on this site. But you’re right, there were many times he looked very relaxed on the sidelines. On a side note, I just read a post on reddit about some Toronto Raptors IT guy smoking out with Chris Bosh and some other guys. Take it with a grain of salt, but seemed legit. It made me like Bosh that much more.

2. seattlesuperchronic - Apr 16, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Dear Washington and Colorado,

I love you.

Sincerely,

Seattle Super Chronic

3. antistratfordian - Apr 16, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Pills are hell on your liver and spike your ALT count. But smoking weed is not necessarily great for your lungs either. Use a vaporizer if you’re going to do it, kids.

• seattlesuperchronic - Apr 16, 2014 at 4:52 PM

You don’t even need to inhale it, throw it in a crockpot with some coconut oil for 24 hours and strain it. You take a dropper full of that business and you’ll be set for the next eight hours. I think I just planned my evening.

• antistratfordian - Apr 16, 2014 at 5:14 PM

wouldn’t that make your house just reek of it?

• ranfan12 - Apr 16, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Average person wouldn’t even bother

• jimeejohnson - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Thanks, dude. Gonna try it.

4. timb12 - Apr 16, 2014 at 4:26 PM

I wasn’t expecting a creed reference in there.

• fanofthegame79 - Apr 16, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Creed had some pretty good songs….I’m not sure why they get bagged on so much.

• timb12 - Apr 16, 2014 at 6:34 PM

It’s cool to not like creed, nickelback, and Dane cook. Even though at some point they were really popular.

• fanofthegame79 - Apr 19, 2014 at 12:55 PM

….I still like all 3.

• timb12 - Apr 19, 2014 at 1:04 PM

You’re a trailblazer my friend.

• dannymac17 - Apr 16, 2014 at 10:18 PM

creed had good songs? take this guys medical marijuana away

• fanofthegame79 - Apr 19, 2014 at 12:54 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

5. chargerdillon - Apr 16, 2014 at 4:35 PM

The Denver Nuggets now has a totally different meaning than gold mining

6. censoredpost - Apr 16, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Bill Nye and Neil Degrasse Tyson just rolled their eyes and shook their heads.

• censoredpost - Apr 16, 2014 at 4:54 PM

In related news Ken Ham just purchased a new Kia.

• jimeejohnson - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Kia’s the new Hyundai which was the new Toyota.

7. chiadam - Apr 16, 2014 at 4:56 PM

They’re all doing it anyway.

SEE? I’ll decide when it’s out of my system.

8. charlutes - Apr 16, 2014 at 5:33 PM

It’s not a joke, it’s what’s happening. They are all doing it anyways. And so are most of the rest of North Americans born after 1960. It’s great, you should try it.

• davidly - Apr 16, 2014 at 5:57 PM

I think you might be preaching to the choir:

“Toronto vs. New York: If the Raptors win they are the three seed, it’s that simple. A Raptors loss combined with a Bulls win over the Bobcats drops the Wizards to the four seed. Either way the Raptors are in, which is a nice reward for long suffering Bucks fans.”

9. mackcarrington - Apr 16, 2014 at 5:42 PM

If you grow up in Oklahoma and aren’t into being a jock, what else are you gonna do besides blaze up?

10. prosourcetalk - Apr 16, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Free the seed

• jimeejohnson - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Crush the narrow minded.

11. smackingfools - Apr 16, 2014 at 8:07 PM

The ‘older white crowd’ smokes marijuana too. Don’t kid yourself.

12. mindblather - Apr 16, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Marijuana may not be as harmless as you think. They are now doing studies on its effect on the brain and the results are not positive: (google search “casual pot use causes brain abnormalities in the young”).

13. campcouch - Apr 16, 2014 at 11:48 PM

I’m trying to figure out what ailments these guys have that would warrant medicinal marijuana. The people that I know that are approved suffer from delibilating or severe quality of life hindering illnesses and not achy knees. My back,kneck and knees hurt too,but I don’t think it’s enough for me to start toking. The Motrin(TM) does me good enough. If these guys develop physical problems after playing,then by all means…and the NBA won’t care,but to say I agree because some dude (who is handsomely compensated) is stiff from playing basketball…sorry B Griff,can’t smell you on that one.

• davidly - Apr 17, 2014 at 6:39 AM

If you don’t want to toke to ease your aches, that’s your business — just like it should be anyone else’s if they want to. Re. Motrin: it is more damaging to your vial organs than THC.

• jimeejohnson - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:56 AM

In other words: “don’t tread on me”!

14. whitwarren - Apr 17, 2014 at 4:19 AM

I’m glad Blake Griffin didn’t shy away from this question. A lot of athletes would cop out. Wish more All Stars would voice their support for the plant. RS should do more interviews with pro athletes!

15. jimeejohnson - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Blake: you deserve to live west of I-5 with the chosen ones. California will soon follow CO and WA and fully legalize cannabis. Give thanks.

16. mindblather - Apr 17, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Marijuana use may not be as harmless as you think. Research is now being done on its effect on the mind and initial results are not positive (search for “Casual pot use causes brain abnormalities in the young”).

For some reason, I made this innocuous comment last night and it was removed…

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches