Apr 16, 2014, 2:03 PM EDT
UPDATE 2:02 pm: The NBA’s league office has made it official — Blake Griffin is suspended for the Clippers Wednesday night game against the Trail Blazers.
The Clippers pretty much expected this as Griffin (as well as J.J. Redick) didn’t even fly up with the team. Doc Rivers likely will be looking to rest guys as much as he can against Portland, although if Oklahoma City stumbles against the Pistons the Clippers can get the No. 2 seed with a win (meaning home court against the Thunder in a possible second round meeting).
Blake Griffin became the second player this season to reach 16 technical fouls, a threshold that comes with a one-game suspension (and a $5,000 fine, which followed $45,000 for the first 15 technicals).
Here’s video of the incident (hat tip: Matt Moore of Eye on Basketball):
The NBA could still rescind the technical, but if it doesn’t, Griffin will miss tonight’s Clippers-Trail Blazers game. Considering Los Angeles still has a chance for the No. 2 seed, that could be pretty costly.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 7
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 24
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9