Apr 16, 2014, 2:03 PM EDT
UPDATE 2:02 pm: The NBA’s league office has made it official — Blake Griffin is suspended for the Clippers Wednesday night game against the Trail Blazers.
The Clippers pretty much expected this as Griffin (as well as J.J. Redick) didn’t even fly up with the team. Doc Rivers likely will be looking to rest guys as much as he can against Portland, although if Oklahoma City stumbles against the Pistons the Clippers can get the No. 2 seed with a win (meaning home court against the Thunder in a possible second round meeting).
Blake Griffin became the second player this season to reach 16 technical fouls, a threshold that comes with a one-game suspension (and a $5,000 fine, which followed $45,000 for the first 15 technicals).
Here’s video of the incident (hat tip: Matt Moore of Eye on Basketball):
The NBA could still rescind the technical, but if it doesn’t, Griffin will miss tonight’s Clippers-Trail Blazers game. Considering Los Angeles still has a chance for the No. 2 seed, that could be pretty costly.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 6
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 39
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38