Apr 16, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Another underclassman — and another one likely to go in the second round — has declared for the NBA Draft.
Arizona State point guard Jahii Carson announced his intentions Wednesday through the university.
“After discussing all my options with my family, teammates and coaches, I have decided to enter the 2014 NBA Draft,” Carson announced. “My time at ASU has helped me mature as a student, athlete and person and has prepared me to take this next step in my career. I cannot thank Coach Sendek enough for allowing me to be a part of such an incredible Sun Devils community and I look forward to cheering on my teammates and all their future success.”
Carson is expected to go in the second round, along with players such as Jordan Clarkson of Missouri, Russ Smith of Louisville and Shabazz Napier of UConn (who may have played himself into the bottom of the first round with his NCAA tournament).
At 5’11” Carson is undersized but brings that NBA teams will like is speed, according to PBT’s draft expert Ed Isaacson of NBADraftBlog.com and Rotoworld.
“Great speed and tough to contain one-on-one,” Isaacson told PBT. “He became a more consistent 3-point shooter this year (39.1 percent). Can be a good distributor, but also has control problems. He had to be the dominant offensive player for ASU, he could be a better point guard with more talent around him.”
Because of his size there are questions about how well he can defend at the NBA level.
But some team likely takes him and between Summer League and training camp he’ll get a chance to prove himself.
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 0
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 6
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 33
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46