Apr 16, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Another underclassman — and another one likely to go in the second round — has declared for the NBA Draft.
Arizona State point guard Jahii Carson announced his intentions Wednesday through the university.
“After discussing all my options with my family, teammates and coaches, I have decided to enter the 2014 NBA Draft,” Carson announced. “My time at ASU has helped me mature as a student, athlete and person and has prepared me to take this next step in my career. I cannot thank Coach Sendek enough for allowing me to be a part of such an incredible Sun Devils community and I look forward to cheering on my teammates and all their future success.”
Carson is expected to go in the second round, along with players such as Jordan Clarkson of Missouri, Russ Smith of Louisville and Shabazz Napier of UConn (who may have played himself into the bottom of the first round with his NCAA tournament).
At 5’11” Carson is undersized but brings that NBA teams will like is speed, according to PBT’s draft expert Ed Isaacson of NBADraftBlog.com and Rotoworld.
“Great speed and tough to contain one-on-one,” Isaacson told PBT. “He became a more consistent 3-point shooter this year (39.1 percent). Can be a good distributor, but also has control problems. He had to be the dominant offensive player for ASU, he could be a better point guard with more talent around him.”
Because of his size there are questions about how well he can defend at the NBA level.
But some team likely takes him and between Summer League and training camp he’ll get a chance to prove himself.
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 0
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 1
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 16
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 42
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 7
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45