Apr 15, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
Monday night Erik Spoelstra and the Heat threw in the towel on the chase for the No. 1 seed — they sat LeBron James and Chris Bosh, then promptly lost to the Wizards. Miami cannot pass the Pacers for the top slot now.
So Indiana’s coach Frank Vogel is going to rest a lot of guys in a meaningless game Wednesday against the Magic.
This is different than the Nets situation because nothing is on the line for Indy.
The Pacers will open the playoffs this weekend against the Atlanta Hawks and they have home court for every series (they are 35-6 at home, 20-20 on the road). For a team that has struggled lately Atlanta is a perfect playoff first round opponent — a tune up. A chance to play meaningful games against a team that can’t really hurt you and get the kinks worked out before things get serious in the second round (likely Brooklyn or Chicago).
But for Wednesday, everybody rests.
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 5
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 35
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 32
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 58
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25