Apr 15, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
Monday night Erik Spoelstra and the Heat threw in the towel on the chase for the No. 1 seed — they sat LeBron James and Chris Bosh, then promptly lost to the Wizards. Miami cannot pass the Pacers for the top slot now.
So Indiana’s coach Frank Vogel is going to rest a lot of guys in a meaningless game Wednesday against the Magic.
This is different than the Nets situation because nothing is on the line for Indy.
The Pacers will open the playoffs this weekend against the Atlanta Hawks and they have home court for every series (they are 35-6 at home, 20-20 on the road). For a team that has struggled lately Atlanta is a perfect playoff first round opponent — a tune up. A chance to play meaningful games against a team that can’t really hurt you and get the kinks worked out before things get serious in the second round (likely Brooklyn or Chicago).
But for Wednesday, everybody rests.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29