Apr 15, 2014, 3:07 AM EST
Phil Jackson is going to give one of the players he liked best from his Los Angeles Lakers days a tryout to get back into the NBA.
Following up on an earlier report, Lamar Odom is close to signing a deal to be with the New York Knicks the rest of this one and maybe next season, reports Marc Stein at ESPN.
Sources told ESPN.com that the Knicks are on course, barring an unforeseen snag, to formally sign Odom this week in a move that would put him on their roster immediately and, more importantly, include a team option for next season.
Structuring the deal this way, after a tumultuous 12 months for one of Jackson’s favorite players when they worked together with the Los Angeles Lakers, would give the Knicks two months before free agency begins July 1 to get the 34-year-old into their program and start working with him.
Consider this a tryout for Odom. Also consider this a favor from Jackson to give Odom a chance.
Odom was a key part of Jackson’s most recent title teams in L.A., but after the lockout and the Lakers trading Odom it became a downward spiral for him that included arrests and drugs and a stint in rehab.
Earlier this season he played two games in the Spanish ABC league but injured his back and left that team.
It’s a bit of a gamble for the Phil Jackson, but with a capped out roster next season where it will be hard to move players — this year’s roster that didn’t make the playoffs will be similar to next season’s — he has to take some risks. If it doesn’t pan out he moves on, but he’s giving a friend a chance. It’s a very Phil move.
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 3
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 6
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 7
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 18
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 17
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 5
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 24
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13