Joe Johnson says he shouldn’t have been laughing on bench during blowout loss to Knicks earlier in season
Apr 15, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
The last time the Knicks played the Nets, they dealt Brooklyn a 29-point loss back on April 2 that was decided well before halftime.
New York led by more than 30 points at times in the second half, leading to extended garbage time that apparently went on too long for two of the Nets’ veteran players.
Paul Pierce and Joe Johnson were shown during the nationally televised contest having some laughs while on the bench late in the game, and Jeff Van Gundy called them out for their less than professional behavior during the broadcast.
In advance of the final meeting between the two teams this season, Johnson said that Van Gundy was right.
“(Van Gundy’s) probably right. We shouldn’t have been laughing,” said Johnson, who was spotted on television smiling and laughing with teammate Paul Pierce multiple times over the course of 3½ minutes in garbage time of a 29-point defeat at the Garden two weeks ago. “I can’t remember honestly what Paul said, but it had to be super funny for me to laughing and for us to losing the way we were losing.”
The scene on ESPN prompted Van Gundy, a television analyst, to declare on the air, “I don’t think it’s too much to ask that you’re taking it seriously.”He later said it was insulting to Nets fans and was “a horrible look for the league.”
Van Gundy wasn’t appalled or anything, and was merely pointing out that if any die-hard Nets fans were still watching, the reactions of Pierce and Johnson were less than desirable. While it was really just a minor transgression, it’s still nice to see that Johnson recognizes it.
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 2
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 5
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 28
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54