Carmelo Anthony questionable against Nets tonight, but not if Mike Woodson has anything to say about it
Apr 15, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Carmelo Anthony is having, arguably, the best season of his career. He’s battled nearly every game for a bad team, laying it all out on the line.
Even if Melo leaves New York in free agency this summer, he would have given the Knicks their money’s worth this year.
Knicks say Carmelo Anthony is questionable for tonight's game b/c of his shoulder.—
Scott Cacciola (@ScottCacciola) April 15, 2014
How often does a star in obvious pain play his final games for a team already eliminated from the playoff race? Melo has every right just to call it a season.
Mike Woodson will try to make him do just that.
Woodson said he wants to shut down Melo for final 2 games if it's his call. Woodson said no reason to play him.—
Marc Berman (@NYPost_Berman) April 15, 2014
That Melo is even questionable is incredible. I don’t know what he’s trying to prove, but I commend him for it. My respect for him as a competitor has never been higher, and he’s frequently raised the bar throughout the season.
Just look at what he’s dealing with.
Here are Melo’s win shares (blue) and his teammates’ estimated win shares (orange)*:
He has done more than ever this season as his teammates have done less.
*Teammates’ estimated win shares are team wins minus Melo’s win shares. All seasons normalized to 82-game schedule.
After they play the Nets tonight, the Knicks close their season against the Raptors tomorrow. There’s no logical reason Melo should play either game.
But, obviously, that doesn’t mean Melo is done.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 13
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 21
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 31
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2