Apr 14, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
As the NCAA’s ridiculous early deadline nears, more and more underclassman appear to be headed into the NBA Draft.
The latest two are some of the better athletes in a deep draft — Glen Robinson III of Michigan and Syracuse’s Jerami Grant, both of whom are coming out according to reports.
The Robinson report comes from Jake Fischer, who adds that Robinson has signed with an agent but has not yet informed the Michigan coaching staff. You can take the report with a grain of salt if you want, but most people expected him to come out.
Robinson is projected as a late first but more likely early second round pick. He has the good size for an NBA three — 6’6” with a 6’9” wingspan — who can finish in transition, works hard off the ball and is efficient in the half court. He also gives really good effort on defense.
The question about Robinson is can he shoot well enough from the outside — he shot 30 percent from three last season in college, teams in the NBA will give him the outside jumper until he makes them pay for it.
PBT’s draft expert Ed Isaacson of NBADraftBlog.com and Rotoworld said he thinks Robinson will and he will have a strong NBA career.
“I think he just never found rhythm in Michigan’s offense. I think he is one if those players each year who ends up showing more in pro offense,” Isaacson said.
Grant coming out was reported first by Sport Illustrated’s Pete Thamel and it’s also not a surprise. He was one of the best athletes at the college level and the 6’9” forward will likely be taken in the 20s, Isaacson said.
He is flat out one of the best athletes in this draft and worth the risk, however his skills didn’t develop that fast last season, Isaacson noted, so it will be interesting to see how those come along. There is a lot of potential here at both ends but he may take a few seasons to really blossom.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28