2014 PBT Awards: All-Defensive Team

Apr 14, 2014, 12:19 PM EST

Indiana Pacers v Denver Nuggets Indiana Pacers v Denver Nuggets

Though none of us have a ballot for the NBA’s official awards, we’ll be presenting our choices and making our cases this week for each major honor.

Kurt Helin

First Team

Second Team

What I find hardest about this is picking the point guards that should be on here, then narrowing down the number of quality forwards to just these (I hate leaving guys like Kawhi Leonard and Draymond Green off this list).

Brett Pollakoff

First team

• G: Patrick Beverley, Houston Rockets
  • G: Chris Paul, Los Angeles Clippers
  • F: Serge Ibaka, Oklahoma City Thunder
  • F: Joakim Noah, Chicago Bulls
  • C: Roy Hibbert, Indiana Pacers

Second team

This award is problematic, in that there are far more deserving players who play at the forward positions than there are just about anywhere else. The guards were difficult to single out, but it’s tough to argue with guys who take pride in their defense and seem to bring the effort on that end of the floor on a nightly basis.

Dan Feldman

First team

• G: Patrick Beverley, Houston Rockets
  • G: Chris Paul, Los Angeles Clippers
  • F: Paul George, Indiana Pacers
  • F: Andre Iguodala, Golden State Warriors
  • C: Roy Hibbert, Indiana Pacers

Second team

• G: Jimmy Butler, Chicago Bulls
  • G: Ricky Rubio, Minnesota Timberwolves
  • F: Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs
  • F: Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio Spurs
  • C: Joakim Noah, Chicago Bulls

I feel reasonably comfortable with the gap between my first and second teams, but there are plenty of deserving players who might have made my second team on another day – especially at forward. Serge Ibaka and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist were right there.

1. aldavis4president - Apr 14, 2014 at 12:28 PM

I like that you mentioned draymond green. Yes has been shut down! All season. He made LeBron, kd, and Blake Griffin cry like little children!! #DUB NATION #FULLSQUAD …would’ve liked to see bogut on their too, he’s not stats guy, he’s a presence guy. People stop taking it to the hoop when he’s in the game.

• usavebob - Apr 14, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Ibaka’s ability to block shots and alter shots has opponents shooting very low percentages in the paint; he deserves much more recognition.

• bougin89 - Apr 14, 2014 at 1:09 PM

I think he’s gotten his earned recognition. He’s already made 1st team Defense twice. Personally I’d put Noah, Hibbert and Duncan ahead of him. Maybe even Anthony Davis.

• casualcommenter - Apr 14, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Agreed with bougin89.

All-Defensive First team is the 2nd highest defensive honor a player can earn, beneath only Defensive Player of the Year. You use All-Defensive First team selections to make arguments for players being in the Hall of Fame.

So I’m not sure how a guy like Ibaka who has been named 2x All-Defensive First team could be described as “lacking recognition for his defense.” 2 of the 3 authors named Ibaka to their All-Defensive teams, so it’s not like he was snubbed.

• spthegr8 - Apr 14, 2014 at 2:57 PM

LMFAO @ Dan Feldman
        Ricky Rubio…..GTFOH!!!!

2. stayhigh_247 - Apr 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Noah and Patrick Beverley should be on every bodies list.

• Observer157 - Apr 19, 2014 at 1:57 PM

The media hype is RIDICULOUS for Pat Beverly. There is no way he should make an all-defense team when his defensive rating is HORRENDOUS 108 and his Synergy PPS metrics are all worse than Jeremy Lin’s. Look at the box scores, he gets lit up every single night by opposing PG’s. He looks high energy absolutely, but he gets blown by every single play.

3. boli34 - Apr 14, 2014 at 12:51 PM

You mean the game kd scored 54 he cried like a baby?

4. spursareold - Apr 14, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Rubio is really only a steals guy. If he’s not doing that, he can pretty easily be exploited in matchups.

5. bougin89 - Apr 14, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Chris Paul
    Jimmy Butler
    Kawhi Leonard
    Joakim Noah
    Roy Hibbert

• john242322 - Apr 14, 2014 at 1:31 PM

I’m a die-hard Pacer fan and even I know Roy should not be on the first team all-defense. Especially with how poorly he’s played since the all-star break…Paul George however, is a monster on D and should absolutely be first team no question

• money2long - Apr 14, 2014 at 9:13 PM

I guarantee hibbert’s recent play has contributed to your thumbs down total

6. moseskkim - Apr 14, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Lebron should be 1st team. Leonard missed too many games. Beverley, butler, george, lebron, noah. Hibberts been trash. Cant even avg 5 boards last couple months

• cantonbound13 - Apr 14, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Floppers should not be rewarded.

• spursareold - Apr 14, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Leonard will wind up missing about 15 games, depending on the next two. Pop is trying to build his minutes up for the playoffs, so he’ll probably play both, putting him at 67.

I’m guessing you’ll scream bloody murder if Wade, at 51 games, gets left off the All NBA teams…

• jkirby317 - Apr 14, 2014 at 6:34 PM

this is the defensive team.
      he could get 0 rebounds/gm and still make 1st team all defense.

• moseskkim - Apr 14, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Ooh very wrong my friend. For big men, it is a prime stat to help determine how well they play defense. Rebounding is ending the possession so that there are no more chances on O.

• jkirby317 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:48 PM

what will you say if he wins DPOY?

• jkirby317 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Pacers have the number 1 Defense in the NBA.
        Some say historic.

Hibbert is the reason why.

7. spyder9669 - Apr 14, 2014 at 1:40 PM

PJ Tucker needs to be on one of these lists. I’d love to see what his opponents FG% was this year.

8. eagles512 - Apr 14, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Good to see Iguodala getting his due.

9. tcclark - Apr 14, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Wow these are a lot better than they normally are. I hope the actual teams are this good. I’ve been waiting years for an all-definsive team that was respectable, but we will most likely have a team that features Rondo, Paul, Lebron, George, and Hibbert. The league wants the stars on the All-Defensive team when guys like Andre Iguodala and Jimmy Butler are more deserving.

• spursareold - Apr 14, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I get mad when the writers do that. Iggy and Butler have no chance at All NBA, so leave the stars off of All D, at least the ones that only play D when they want to.

10. provguard - Apr 14, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Howard as an elite center on defense? What a laugh!!! Sorry, I’ll take DeAndre any day….

11. greenejoemean - Apr 14, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Where is DeAndre Jordan?

12. nomad57 - Apr 14, 2014 at 4:49 PM

A little surprised there’s no love for Anthony Davis. Blocks per leader.

• bougin89 - Apr 14, 2014 at 5:17 PM

I thought the same thing but when i was looking at who i’d take off the list it’s pretty tough to put him on. Guys like Leonard, Iggy, George, Lebron, Duncan, Ibaka etc all deserve to be on it just as much as he does IMO.

• nomad57 - Apr 14, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Good list, but I’d still take him over Howard and possibly Noah.

13. ProBasketballPundit - Apr 14, 2014 at 6:03 PM

LeBron James shouldn’t be on any defensive teams this season. I’m LeBron fan #1; I’ve watched nearly every LBJ game for 6 years. Let me tell you, he’s taking the year off on D. Or rather, he’s using bursts of defensive energy rather than making a consistent effort to save energy for offense. He constantly loses his guy or fails to rotate on open shooters. He’s not terrible, I’m not saying that… he just isn’t the defensive force he has been the last five years. I trust he’ll be back at in the playoffs.

14. polkhigh4life - Apr 14, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Anyone that says they’ll take ____ over Noah is a moron….can any1 name me a 7 footer that can switch on Lebron at the 3 point line and 6/10 times stop him…. To the morons that’ll say Ibaka can….um no he can’t…..FACT

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches