Adam Silver says NBA will ‘take a fresh look’ at changing playoff format to include league’s best teams
Apr 12, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
The NBA’s playoff format has come under more scrutiny than usual this season, given the large disparity in the quality of teams (and the number of wins) in the two prevailing conferences.
The East will have at least one and possibly two teams make the playoffs with sub-.500 records, while the West will have a team somewhere near a mark of 15 games over .500 miss the postseason entirely.
Adam Silver has promised innovation since taking the reigns as Commissioner on Feb. 1, and said on Friday in San Antonio that it may be time to look at changing the format of the playoffs to include the league’s best teams.
Conducting an in-game interview with Spurs broadcasters Bill Land and Sean Elliott during the telecast of Friday’s Spurs-Suns game at AT&T Center, Silver said the league needs to consider changes to the format that puts the top eight teams in each conference in the playoffs. …
“I don’t know that there will be movement,” Silver said about changing the format. “My initial thought is we will take a fresh look at it. When these conferences were designed it was in the day of commercial (air) travel. It was very different moving teams around the country.
“In this day and age when every team is flying charter it changes everything. It’s one of the reasons we moved back to the 2-2-1-1-1 format for this year’s Finals.”
It’s a logical progression, but there are obstacles to putting something like this into practice.
Looking at this season’s standings, the variation wouldn’t be too drastic. There might be one more Western Conference club in to create a 9-7 split, but the seedings would be substantially altered, with the West taking the top three and seven of the top nine.
And that’s the biggest issue to overcome.
A seemingly sensible adjustment like this would mess with the East versus West format for the Finals that’s been in place essentially forever. That might be enough to prevent this type of change from ever taking place, but Silver promises to give it a fresh set of eyes nonetheless.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron his shots despite good Celtics defense 1
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 24
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 31
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 9
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 65