Apr 11, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Phoenix controls its own destiny — win out and they make the playoffs in the West. They are currently the seven seed, in a virtual tie with Dallas for in the last two playoff spots in the West, one game ahead of Memphis.
Of course, the Suns also play the league-leading Spurs Friday night, get the Mavericks in the second night of a road back-to-back on Saturday, then face Memphis Monday in a huge game. That’s a brutal stretch in which to try and control your destiny.
The Suns catch one break Friday — the Spurs are likely to rest Tim Duncan and Tony Parker Friday on the second night of a back-to-back. It’s not for sure, but the Express-News’ Jeff McDonald is making a logical assumption.
We should note that the Spurs resting guys does not make them a pushover — everyone remembers the game Gregg Popovich got the Spurs fined a quarter of a million bucks by the league for resting Duncan, Parker and Manu Ginobili against the Heat on national television and pissing off David Stern in the process, what everyone forgets is that the Spurs almost won that game. They win a lot resting their stars. Spurs reserves play the same system and adhere to it the same way.
Those final playoff spots in the West are really going to come down to all the head-to-heads between Memphis, Dallas and Phoenix in the coming six nights. In addition to Phoenix/Dallas Saturday and Phoenix/Memphis Monday, there is Dallas/Memphis next Wednesday, the final night of regular season games. It very well may come down to that.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 37
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18