Apr 11, 2014, 11:58 AM EST
Phoenix controls its own destiny — win out and they make the playoffs in the West. They are currently the seven seed, in a virtual tie with Dallas for in the last two playoff spots in the West, one game ahead of Memphis.
Of course, the Suns also play the league-leading Spurs Friday night, get the Mavericks in the second night of a road back-to-back on Saturday, then face Memphis Monday in a huge game. That’s a brutal stretch in which to try and control your destiny.
The Suns catch one break Friday — the Spurs are likely to rest Tim Duncan and Tony Parker Friday on the second night of a back-to-back. It’s not for sure, but the Express-News’ Jeff McDonald is making a logical assumption.
We should note that the Spurs resting guys does not make them a pushover — everyone remembers the game Gregg Popovich got the Spurs fined a quarter of a million bucks by the league for resting Duncan, Parker and Manu Ginobili against the Heat on national television and pissing off David Stern in the process, what everyone forgets is that the Spurs almost won that game. They win a lot resting their stars. Spurs reserves play the same system and adhere to it the same way.
Those final playoff spots in the West are really going to come down to all the head-to-heads between Memphis, Dallas and Phoenix in the coming six nights. In addition to Phoenix/Dallas Saturday and Phoenix/Memphis Monday, there is Dallas/Memphis next Wednesday, the final night of regular season games. It very well may come down to that.
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 2
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 15