Apr 11, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Phoenix controls its own destiny — win out and they make the playoffs in the West. They are currently the seven seed, in a virtual tie with Dallas for in the last two playoff spots in the West, one game ahead of Memphis.
Of course, the Suns also play the league-leading Spurs Friday night, get the Mavericks in the second night of a road back-to-back on Saturday, then face Memphis Monday in a huge game. That’s a brutal stretch in which to try and control your destiny.
The Suns catch one break Friday — the Spurs are likely to rest Tim Duncan and Tony Parker Friday on the second night of a back-to-back. It’s not for sure, but the Express-News’ Jeff McDonald is making a logical assumption.
I'm assuming no Duncan, Parker and maybe others tonight vs PHX, so good chance Dallas remains in 8 spot at least another day.—
Jeff McDonald (@JMcDonald_SAEN) April 11, 2014
We should note that the Spurs resting guys does not make them a pushover — everyone remembers the game Gregg Popovich got the Spurs fined a quarter of a million bucks by the league for resting Duncan, Parker and Manu Ginobili against the Heat on national television and pissing off David Stern in the process, what everyone forgets is that the Spurs almost won that game. They win a lot resting their stars. Spurs reserves play the same system and adhere to it the same way.
Those final playoff spots in the West are really going to come down to all the head-to-heads between Memphis, Dallas and Phoenix in the coming six nights. In addition to Phoenix/Dallas Saturday and Phoenix/Memphis Monday, there is Dallas/Memphis next Wednesday, the final night of regular season games. It very well may come down to that.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 0
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 11
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 20
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 18
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29