Apr 11, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Dallas Mavericks public address announcer Sean Heath was originally suspended two games by the NBA for comments he made via Twitter criticizing officials following a loss to the Warriors.
Heath’s Twitter account is full of such criticism, yet he had no interactions with the league office in the past.
That may be why the suspension was rescinded, and the Mavericks were issued a nominal fine for their employee’s remarks instead.
The update, from Tim MacMahon of ESPN Dallas:
Public-address announcer Sean Heath will be shouting into his courtside microphone at American Airlines Center during the Mavericks’ regular-season home finale Saturday night after all.
The NBA office rescinded its two-game suspension for Heath, according to a source, opting to fine the Mavericks $25,000 as punishment for Heath’s tweets criticizing the officiating in the wake of Dallas’ 122-120 overtime loss to the Golden State Warriors on April 1.
The most offensive comment from the league’s perspective was likely the one where Heath said the NBA has a “reputation that the games are rigged.”
Look, we know that more often than not, the people who are employed by a team directly are often its biggest fans. There’s nothing wrong with that internally, but it’s bad form to lash out publicly like this, no matter the circumstances.
The league knows this, but it also knows that suspending random team personnel isn’t likely something it wants to begin doing. So in a wise decision, they went with a fine instead, sending the message that the organization needs to reel in its employees in this regard.
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 0
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 58
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 21
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10