Apr 11, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
Mathematically the Knicks are still alive in the Eastern Conference playoff race.
Of course, mathematically I have a shot at winning The Voice. Even though I can’t sing. The Knicks and I are in the same place — the Hawks magic number is two, the Knicks are mathematically alive but reality provides a very different view. The only way the Knicks make the playoffs is to win out (4-0) and have the Hawks go 1-3 or worse.
However until that chance is zero Carmelo Anthony is going to suit up and play — he will dress for the Knicks at the Raptors Friday night, as reported in the New York Post. That despite a very sore shoulder that has hampered Anthony in recent games.
And no, Anthony is not going to get an MRI on that shoulder, either
“I believe (I will play) until they tell me we’re out of it,’’ Anthony said at the morning shootaround at Air Canada Centre….
“What is the test going to do at this point?’’ Anthony said. “If they say it’s really bad, I’m still not going to sit out. I’d rather to wait until it’s all over….
“It is what it is,’’ Anthony said. “We have to win all four games, and it’s not a given if we win all four games we get in, but we have to do our part.’’
It’s a noble sentiment, you have to tip your cap to him for it. Anthony has never missed the playoffs in his 11 NBA seasons and will not go down quietly.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $55,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
He battled through shoulder injuries last year and said these are not as severe, it’s something he can play through. However he has clearly been limited.
If he’s not going to sit out until the Knicks are eliminated, well, that will come soon enough.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 0
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 10
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 12
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 6
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 47
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7