Apr 10, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT
David Stern may be emeritus now but the NBA’s global ambitions are not — the NBA owners want those international dollars.
Meaning next preseason NBA teams are heading overseas again to spread the gospel of the NBA and the NBA announced the schedule Thursday.
First up Tony Parker, Tim Duncan (unless he retires) and the San Antonio Spurs will take on Alba Berlin in Germany Oct. 8, then travel to Istanbul, Turkey, to take on Fenerbahçe Ülker Istanbul Oct. 11. Gregg Popovich isn’t going to complain about this as much as you might imagine for a curmudgeon. For one thing, they make a fantastic Riesling in parts of Germany. Second, he likes travel. It’s sideline reporters that drive him nuts.
In a pre-Olympics showcase, the Cleveland Cavaliers will play the Miami Heat Oct. 11 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Even for the Heat’s usual standards that could be a good looking crowd — and you know they will be chanting all game.
The Brooklyn Nets and Sacramento Kings will make the NBA’s annual trip to China, playing Oct. 12 in Shanghai, then Oct. 15 in Beijing.
These are the teams of two owners really pushing to make their teams bigger international brands.
“We’re thrilled to bring the Kings experience back to our fans in China,” Kings owner Vivek Ranadivé said in a released statement. “Over 300 million Chinese men and women play basketball so there’s huge potential to connect with new and existing fans. We’ll be volunteering in the community, as well as utilizing technology and social media to share our trip with Kings fans around the world. We look forward to playing the Brooklyn Nets, who share our philosophy that basketball is the preeminent global sport of the 21st century.”
The NBA is clear and away the premier basketball league in the world and with the worldwide popularity of the sport the NBA is positioned to tap into an international market better than any other American sport. They would be foolish not to do this. Expect to see more of it, David Stern or no.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29