Nick Young ‘very confident’ about chances of returning to Lakers

Apr 10, 2014, 9:47 PM EST

Nick Young AP

We know two things about Nick Young in relation to his current status with the Lakers.

He loves playing for the purple and gold despite being a part of one of the worst seasons in franchise history.

And, he’ll almost certainly opt out of the minimum-salary player option he has for next season in hopes of securing a more lucrative, long-term deal.

But all things being equal, Young has made it known that he’d prefer to stay in Los Angeles.

From Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles:

“Of course I want to be here and be a part of a team that’s going to the playoffs and fighting for championships and really get a chance to get that feeling of being a part of that Laker parade and having my little speech like (Shaquille O’Neal) did, ‘Can you dig it?’ Have my own sayings, you know? So, I’ve thought about that a lot. That would really be a great dream come true.”

Young made it sound like he thinks those dreams can be realized.

“I’m very confident,” Young said when asked about his chances of returning to the Lakers. “I think we’re going to come to some kind of agreement and hopefully it happens. We just got to see what they’re going to do.”

Much has been made of the Lakers having plenty of salary cap space to go after high-profile free agents this summer, but the reality is that the team has just three players under guaranteed contracts for next season  — Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, and Robert Sacre.

There’s plenty of room, both in terms of the roster space and the available dollars to bring Young back in at a higher salary figure more representative of his contributions to the team. As long as Young and his agent don’t get too crazy in terms of their demands, there is indeed a good chance he could continue to play in Los Angeles beyond this season.

1. slate91 - Apr 10, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Reblogged this on The Daily Slate and commented:
    HIS ROLE WILL BE SIMPLIFIED IF HE STAYS, TOO MUCH OF A RISK KEEPING HIM IF HE CONTINUES TO JACK UP SHOTS…THEY WILL BE TAKING RISK BY KEEPING HIM BECAUSE KOBE WILL NOT TOLERATE HIS NONSENSE EVEN THOUGH THE LAKERS HAVE BEEN A MESS THIS YEAR…INTERESTING SITUATION NEVERTHELESS

• ranfan12 - Apr 11, 2014 at 6:04 AM

Well 6th man is as simple as it gets.

• spursareold - Apr 11, 2014 at 9:54 AM

CAPS LOCK: YOU FOUND IT!!!

• slate91 - Apr 11, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Haha it’s for people who cannot see the truth !!

2. eugenesaxe1 - Apr 10, 2014 at 10:19 PM

I’m sure Kobe is thrilled.

3. timcast12 - Apr 10, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Shoot we better re-sign him!

4. capya - Apr 10, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Well, somebody has to play SG after Kobe’s knees explode in the first week of the new season.

5. arliepro - Apr 10, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Nick has thrived in his 6th man role this season, providing instant offense off the bench. He hasn’t done so well as a starter, so it’s unlikely he’d take that role from Kobe. If he and the Lakers can get a reasonable deal done, I think he should stay in LA.

6. 00maltliquor - Apr 10, 2014 at 11:21 PM

I really hope the Lakers retain him. I like what he brings a lot. But if we can’t keep him it’s probably no biggie, we got 19 other swingmen of our own who are younger that we can re-sign for cheaper then what he’s most likely looking for. I hope Blazemore stays as well whether or not we keep Swaggy too.

7. nolanwiffle - Apr 11, 2014 at 8:36 AM

This guy should spend less time thinking about his “little speech” and more time working on his game. He’s a loser.

8. nolanwiffle - Apr 11, 2014 at 8:36 AM

• socalgal64 - Apr 11, 2014 at 10:16 AM

You should probably spend less time trying to type a witty comment, and more time trying to figure out how not to post it twice.

9. au1978 - Apr 11, 2014 at 12:37 PM

This guy cracks me up. He’s so puffed up, reading his quotes is pretty amusing. But he does have game and would be a great 6th man even for a playoff-bound Lakers team.

10. 5xchamp24 - Apr 11, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I have to admit hes ok for a 6th man. But for a guy whos 6’7″, hes averaged only 2 rbs and 1 ast for his whole career. that alone shows you what hes all about. HIMSELF. In my opinion. a great or even a good player with his height, has to do more than just score. Regardless of his scoring abilities, if the Lakers keep him they must keep his minutes down. If no one here agrees, I dont care. I just dont like him. LOL

11. dablakdrphil - Apr 11, 2014 at 7:52 PM

I’ve watched a lot of my Laker games this season and Nick Young was one of the few bright spots for this team. I love his energy and enthusiasm he plays with. I really hope he comes back next season because if anything else he could be a 6th man candidate with this team. It’s a little premature because to mention 6th man for next season because we still have to wait and see what the Lakers do this upcoming off season but I’ll be thrilled if he comes back

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches