Steve Nash believes chance to move up on all-time assists list influenced D’Antoni’s decision to play him vs. Rockets
Apr 9, 2014, 12:31 AM EST
In the final week or so of the Lakers lost season. there doesn’t seem to be any reason to risk further health complications with Steve Nash, who’s under contract with the team for one more year at almost $10 million next season.
But Mike D’Antoni appears to have found one.
Nash has appeared in just four of his team’s last 10 games, and had missed the 15 before that stretch. Playing in the twilight of his Hall of Fame career, however, means that there are milestones available to be surpassed — and D’Antoni wants to help Nash accomplish at least one of them as soon as the opportunity presents itself.
Steve Nash holds a theory on why he will play when the Lakers (25-51) host the Houston Rockets (51-25) at Staples Center. …
Nash remains five assists away from climbing up to third place on the NBA’s all-time list.
“Mike really wants me to get this assist thing out of the way,” Nash said. “Now I would really like to get it out of the way frankly. It’s out there in the air and everybody is talking about it in a way.” …
“Frankly, it’s one of those things I want to get it over with in a way. If I can. If it doesn’t happen, it doesn’t happen. It’s not the end of the world. If I can put it behind me, it would be nice not to have to talk about it anymore.”
Nash needs just five assists to pass Warriors head coach Mark Jackson for third on the all-time list, but seemed as though he’d prefer to sit these last few games out and focus on getting right for next season.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 10
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 9
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 50
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7