Steve Nash believes chance to move up on all-time assists list influenced D’Antoni’s decision to play him vs. Rockets
Apr 9, 2014, 12:31 AM EST
In the final week or so of the Lakers lost season. there doesn’t seem to be any reason to risk further health complications with Steve Nash, who’s under contract with the team for one more year at almost $10 million next season.
But Mike D’Antoni appears to have found one.
Nash has appeared in just four of his team’s last 10 games, and had missed the 15 before that stretch. Playing in the twilight of his Hall of Fame career, however, means that there are milestones available to be surpassed — and D’Antoni wants to help Nash accomplish at least one of them as soon as the opportunity presents itself.
Steve Nash holds a theory on why he will play when the Lakers (25-51) host the Houston Rockets (51-25) at Staples Center. …
Nash remains five assists away from climbing up to third place on the NBA’s all-time list.
“Mike really wants me to get this assist thing out of the way,” Nash said. “Now I would really like to get it out of the way frankly. It’s out there in the air and everybody is talking about it in a way.” …
“Frankly, it’s one of those things I want to get it over with in a way. If I can. If it doesn’t happen, it doesn’t happen. It’s not the end of the world. If I can put it behind me, it would be nice not to have to talk about it anymore.”
Nash needs just five assists to pass Warriors head coach Mark Jackson for third on the all-time list, but seemed as though he’d prefer to sit these last few games out and focus on getting right for next season.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 0
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 19
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18