Apr 9, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
A couple weeks ago, a report leaked Joel Embiid would declare for the NBA draft.
Embiid, likely sensibly, denied making such a decision.
But with Embiid holding a news conference at 3 p.m. today, the writing is on the wall – and on ZagsBlog:
Joel Embiid will announce his plans to enter the NBA Draft during a press conference with Kansas coach Bill Self on Wednesday at 2 p.m central time, multiple sources told SNY.tv.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Embiid could be the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft – if he’s deemed healthy.
The Kansas center, who averaged 11.2 points on 63 percent shooting, 8.1 rebounds and 2.6 blocks in 23.1 minutes per game as a freshman, wowed with his combination of skills and athleticism. At 7-foot and 250 pounds, he has the body for the NBA. And he just turned 20.
There’s so much to like about him – except a back injury that kept him out of the Jayhawks’ final six games. As Nerlens Noel showed last season, an injury can cause even highly regarded prospects to fall in the draft.
Embiid will have a lot of questions to answer before June 26, and he’ll start that process today. However, he’ll answer the biggest questions not in news conferences or interviews with NBA teams, but through his medical testing.
If Embiid aces those tests, he could be the No. 1 pick depending which team wins the lottery. If questions remain about his health, he’s still likely a top-five pick – which is a credit to how impressive he is in every other consideration.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 35
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 52
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 23