Apr 9, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
A couple weeks ago, a report leaked Joel Embiid would declare for the NBA draft.
Embiid, likely sensibly, denied making such a decision.
But with Embiid holding a news conference at 3 p.m. today, the writing is on the wall – and on ZagsBlog:
Joel Embiid will announce his plans to enter the NBA Draft during a press conference with Kansas coach Bill Self on Wednesday at 2 p.m central time, multiple sources told SNY.tv.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Embiid could be the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft – if he’s deemed healthy.
The Kansas center, who averaged 11.2 points on 63 percent shooting, 8.1 rebounds and 2.6 blocks in 23.1 minutes per game as a freshman, wowed with his combination of skills and athleticism. At 7-foot and 250 pounds, he has the body for the NBA. And he just turned 20.
There’s so much to like about him – except a back injury that kept him out of the Jayhawks’ final six games. As Nerlens Noel showed last season, an injury can cause even highly regarded prospects to fall in the draft.
Embiid will have a lot of questions to answer before June 26, and he’ll start that process today. However, he’ll answer the biggest questions not in news conferences or interviews with NBA teams, but through his medical testing.
If Embiid aces those tests, he could be the No. 1 pick depending which team wins the lottery. If questions remain about his health, he’s still likely a top-five pick – which is a credit to how impressive he is in every other consideration.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 8
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 30
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 83
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 54
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4